Recommended shops to build a half cage - Auckland

ae85 fiend

Hi guys, so im at the stage where i've almost got everything I need for my 20v 7agte ae85 build. Just gearbox/ ECU/ driveshaft remaining.

I've been considering getting either a 4 point cage or a half cage for it, with both having a harness bar. But, im just curious as to where people would recomend, in Auckland to get it done? I have no problem throwing the car up on a trailer or towing it there, if its close enough, just want someone to do a good job at a fair price. - Its a car built on the Student allowance. Lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, oh, and also. How long should I be considering for it to take to build?

Yeah, that was the decision I was going to make, if I wanted the 4 point, I'd have to go down the line of the whole MANZ approved cage with log book/ racing license, but I was under the impression, that with a half cage, you'd only be needing a cert AS long as your car was certified as a 2 seater? Ideally, at the moment, its just going to be a road car. But it will be used at Hori Dori events as well as the odd Club-k trackday/ any other track day I can get it too.

You still need homologation if you want to use it in an MSNZ event... And it's always good future proofing incase you decide to extend the cage later on.

It's true that you need a cert to use it on the road (as opposed to an authority car for a full cage) but you will also need MSNZ homologation.

Just a cut and paste from Schedule A for reference:

4.6 Safety Structures (Roll Protection):

• (1) Safety Structures are classified as ‘safety critical’ hence must be designed, fabricated and maintained to the highest standards. A Rollbar or a Safety Cage may be fabricated in compliance with the requirements of either this Schedule or FIA Appendix J. It is highly recommended that this work be undertaken by a MotorSport NZ Recognised Manufacturer. For the design, construction requirements and material specifications refer to Part Two Article 5 of this Schedule.

• (3) Certification Requirements: Homologation by MotorSport NZ is the certification process for all safety rollbars and safety cages and is a mandatory requirement for all vehicles competing under this Schedule, except single-seater and sports racing cars with a MotorSport NZ logbook issued prior to 1 September 2010 and vehicles competing in ClubSport Basic Events as detailed in the Safety Structure Requirements Chart above. The homologation certificate must be contained in the centre of the vehicle’s MotorSport NZ logbook.

• (a) Application for homologation shall be made (on behalf of the vehicle owner) by the manufacturer / constructor of the safety structure.
      • Detail of the application process may be found in Part Two Article 6 of this Schedule.

Homologation for a half cage is a piece of cake - just fill out the form and get a logbook at the same time. Then you can use the car for anything in the future (up to club level race events), have the ability to extend the cage if needed and also add value to the car if you ever sell it.

• Like 1

Just a cut and paste from Schedule A for reference:

Homologation for a half cage is a piece of cake - just fill out the form and get a logbook at the same time. Then you can use the car for anything in the future (up to club level race events), have the ability to extend the cage if needed and also add value to the car if you ever sell it.

Sweeeet Dude! Cheers for that, so i'll probably try chubb's tomorrow and take your advice.

if your not in a rush i do cages in between other work and im in south auckland, never done less than a 6 point tho, as adding the front stays on later and still guaranteeing 360 degree welds is often hard to do nicely without dropping cage down

Are you Todd? From clubk? Over near Ambury farm? Im in no real rush dude, just thought i'd start seriously looking into it/ start to organise getting it into a shop/ someone to do it.