Can aluminium be bent successfully with exhaust shop benders etc?

yoeddynz

yea tube benders here in AK have all that stuff on the shelf.

they also have a bin of "setup" bends that are random angles. they do cash only, minimum charge is 45$ but if you rat around in the setup stuff you can get more aluminum bends than you can carry for 45$.

you want i should go see them?

i suspect they will be back at work either the 7th or the 14th.

Cool. Cheers fellas for offers of help. I like the sound of looking through piles of bends and taking away many for little pingas.

I might see if local exhaust place might bend tubes when they reopen otherwise I'll ring tube benders.

Oh- and where's a good cheap supply of steel exhaust bends suitable for headers? I'll go and look on tm now....

Chase are good but dont do aluminium,

Tube bending actually works out cheaper for bends, but its either bank deposit or cash, no eftpos or credit card facility

Tried auto bend for a couple of bends and a donut and i nearly shit myself, they were over twice the price

Cheers- yeah I went into ullrich in nelson- handily over the road from work. They showed me some bends but before I got excited they explained that one bend cost more than a whole length in the equivalent size!

Inlet manifold making might be put on the side as it looks like I might yet be able to use the fraser manifold. maybe.. but still want to make a manifold at some point soon.

The problem with bending aluminium is that it work-hardens over time so most of the time stock lengths you get from Ullrich etc will just snap straight away when trying to bend it.

If you don't have any luck give me a PM as I work at Autobend and should be able to help you out with something and I hope we would be cheaper than Ullrich since we actually supply them with various sized bends.

• Like 1

Oh sweet both stu and mr mayhem. I'll get the sizes and codes of the particular bends I looked at ullrich. I think they were 90 degree bends in about 40 or 45 mm ID. But I'll check. I need to see how big I can go as I want to build a manifold with pipes that crossover- too big and they will clash.