Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
A successful day was had, although it was a bit Exhausting the resident Tig master popped in for a visit so it's mostly Tigged with a few bits of Mig here and there... the dump pipe was a total PITA, and probably took longer to get that right than the rest of the system.. there seemed like more obstacles than normal   :?: 

Anyway this must be a better way to spend Waitangi day than protesting and throwing stuff at politicians..

The result is a trimmed down gearbox bell housing, but more importantly a nicely tucked away 2 1/2 system which should do the job well enough..

20140206_173709_zps4e4eec8a.jpg

20140206_204232_zps218977fd.jpg

20140206_204318_zps5cb297e6.jpg

20140207_100638_zps151e8032.jpg

20140207_101420_zps37800023.jpg

aaa16905-e032-4d58-994a-a398bcd2abee_zps

20140207_103513_zps75bbfc91.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update...

Wasn't quite as easy as i thought to match up the early and late cambelt covers to not look total rubbish.. In hindsight it might have been worthwhle trying an early model top cambelt cover possibly with some mods to the cam cover for mounting provisions?

20140218_191336_zps1dd504b8.jpg

Which still left part of the original hole for the transverse engine mount..

Although nothing a bit of heat gun action and some spare plastic couldn't bodge up..

20140218_200836_zpsc5fd6715.jpg

20140218_200822_zps048c8aab.jpg

Also went back to full length fuel rail spacers for fitment of the larger injectors (Sard / Denso 720cc same as my evo runs) and then modified the rail a bit to fit the injector plugs in anticipation of some wiring happening at some stage..

20140218_191429_zpsd59c0370.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the front of the engine peiced together with new tensioner and idler, belt etc..as well as a brand spankers crank pulley as these things can tend to delaminate with age..

20140309_112509_zpsf5a0a0bd.jpg

Then started on adding a birds nest to the engine and interior. 

20140309_204304_zps532dd513.jpg

20140309_204316_zpsaf14f673.jpg

Sorted mounting provision for the ECU and figured out where to split the engine loom out, should be pretty quick from here to hook all the loom up, and surprisingly even though the ECU is only ATOM spec even with dedicated wideband input we still have spare channels.

Still Need to find some resistors for the injector circuit to have some more ohms.

• Like 3

There is a flexi in my shed, much discussion was had and given the rigidity if the engine/ gearbox mounts the flexi was left on the shelf. Its pre gutted of internal strands if it does need to get slotted in at a later date.

Cam (belt) covers? - I don't do bling / shiny so top Cambelt cover will be remaining in place.

or do you mean cam (rocker) cover - these are great to keep oil in the engine and everything else out of the engine.

• Like 2

When you leave flash bits on display it just means the other stuff looks shit in comparison, then you need to re passivate all the attachment hardware then strip the alternator for anodising and before you know it it's going sheepers spec which is beyond my current care factor. Its not intended to be a show car..

• Like 5

Yea sorry cam belt cover

When you leave flash bits on display it just means the other stuff looks shit in comparison, then you need to re passivate all the attachment hardware then strip the alternator for anodising and before you know it it's going sheepers spec which is beyond my current care factor. Its not intended to be a show car..

Having my cam gears seen made me feel better about all the money i spent on a 4age head when i looked at them and they looked good.

^^ Including the Windows?

In other news some more of the body wiring is actually working now.. so useful stuff like lights, wipers and horn should actually have a chance of working even with the bunch of the loom which is now in the bin.... had to srip the innnards of the light combination switch to get the park lights to play the game which was not where I started my problem solving..

Managed a quick trip to everyone's favorite car part store yesterday( before the bad weather hit), found some horns, a decent plug for fan connection, an oil cap( the one I have was damaged), a mazda specific relay and some grunty 30a relays for the fuel pump and to upspec the current 10a fan relay which doesnt sound grunty enough to me.

Then swung by jaycar for a few additional goodies, such as a battery isolator, and terminals and other electrical shit.

Also sorted a 2mm spacer for the water pump pulley to bringthe belt into line. Add that to getting more of the lights working and id say its been successful wiring so far with no escaping smoke.