Suck through carb supercharger set up.

Vintage Grumble

There has been a commo on there lately that has a setup like that and claims it was factory. Load of bollocks, was a kit you could get from Strata, very popular in the 80s. Bits for the kits come up on TM every so often. However, a draw through carb turbo set up is a bit silly really.

i've done a few carb turbo, draw-through and suck-through, each has it own problems and good points...

as said above timing is the biggest issue, limiting the mech advance can work, changing springs and weights to suit can also work, easiest is locking it and finding a almost happy medium, on K series engines i would lock it around 18degrees, but alot of other factors/combos came into play, locking it ensured you had power when you backed off the gas and got back on it (ie skids) can also jimmy a adv/retard solenoid onto the dissy if your keen enough, locked dissy 4k's would get me 6-9months of giggles before spinning bearings etc

on suck-through you need the right type of turbo, it has to have a carbon seal or the fuel will kill the rubber seal quick smart cause the vacuum is too high having the throttle across the turbine... there are ways to lessen the effect, but just get a turbo with carbon seals in the first place

SU's are my pick for easy tuning on suck-though, anything blow-through requires a power-valve and boost enrichment to compensate for what the carb can't tell, also need to pressurize the float to keep everything equalized, so fuel pressure also needs to be rising rate...

suck-though you can still keep the factory mech fuel pump etc :mrgreen:

Always wondered what modification you would have to do with a supercharged carby?

The carby works on the volume through it and the throttle controls the mix of that volume?

So if you suck through the carby whats changed? The volume through it doubles/triples but the mix is still dependant on flow?

Compressing that volume is still the same ratio, so how much tuning is involved in something like this?

Always wondered.

yea in suck-through you don't need to do anything to the carb, just jetting to provide more fuel to suit better afr's :mrgreen:

oh and your not meant to put carb or inlet pipe lower than the intake, due to fuel pooling in the pipe, so your intake run should always run downwards, but have seen a few that don't and still seem to survive :?:

I would never run blowthrough carb on a roots blown engine.

With the blower intake open wide, the blower will be pumping flat out all the time. When the carb isn't wide open, all the air will pressurise the carb/intercooler/piping etc. The pressure will spike, and blow all the seals in the carb/pop off the piping. A BOV might alleviate this somewhat, but ALL the air the blower pumps will pass out the BOV. I've seen that done, and the BOV sounds like 10,000 duck callers through a megaphone.

The only other way it could work would be to use a shit toyota blower and wire up the clutch to a wide open throttle switch. So the engine doesn't see boost unless the holes are open.

run a pre-charger throttle body

Chuck an SC12 on your donk, and gear it at 1:1.

Stick a carby on your blower intake, and plumb that shit into your intake. Profit.

My set up is a Datsun A15 engine bored out to 1567 or something. I run a sc14 driven at 1:1. At makes ten pound. I have a two barrel holley on a drawthrough set up. The powervalve had been externally referenced. I used to run a 32/36, and went to great lengths to get the holley working right. It doesn't go any harder, but it is better on gas.

Since the sc12 is smaller, odds are it'd go good on your donk without the need to fuck with things too much. I also run headers, oversized valves, dual valve springs, ported head. And a big cam. I've killed a few motors, but I'm a rough cunt.

Definately go super.

Turbo is the easy way out.

I know nothing about lada's, (Still more than I want to know TBH) but supers make sweet sweet torque. And it's all instant. ZERO lag. The engine behaves like it's bigger than in really is.

Here is a picture of the powwr curve on one of the engines I destroyed.

18130.jpg

See how flat my curve is?

It rocks like a bigger engine without the extrra weight.