Rings or valve seals? How does one tell?

Vintage Grumble

Valve seals normally don't smoke fark all when the engine is running normally or loaded up but smoke a shit-tonne after a lot of vacuum/overrun - coast down a steep hill using engine braking, then kick her in the guts at the bottom of the hill and you look like a James Bond smokescreen but in a shitty Toyota.. They normally show worse when the engine is hot.

Piston rings will generally smoke all the time. They normally show worse when engine is stone cold.

Hmmmmmm, my engine smokes a little when cold, and seems to blow fuck loads under hard acceleration, BUT not always, its real hit and miss?

I always thought a sign of buggered valve seals was big puffs of smoke on cold start up, and then little or no smoke under normal running?

Its using 1/2L of oil a week, which aint mega bad, its mostly just shames when the world disappears in huge clouds of smoke when you pass shit, haha. The motor sounds like it could do with new bearings also, so guess I should just do the whole lot.

Nah, its my daily, 4age black top, not looking forward to rebuilding it, but I want to do some club events in it, so better refresh the engine before it gets too shit.

I had thought about buying another black top and slapping it in the wagon, then rebuild this one one day, and slap it in the lada, haha. But people want $900 for a bare engine, such a rip!

How many KM for that 1-2L? Thats bloody shocking! Also what oil are you using? I don't keep a track of oil usage, but i'd probably use a 4L between services which are done somewhere between 5-10k. It's used oil since it arrived in NZ, and was abused in Japan. CBF rebuilding though so instead I just thrash it. Nine years later.... still taking the abuse :lol:

If you can, do a compression test, then re do it with a small amount of clean oil poured into the bores. This will often pick the pressure up and indicate rings are worn.

Sometimes rings just stick and you get a bit of smoke/ usase but not all the time which makes it confusing.

Pity Lingling isn't here anymore, I heard he could get complete ones for $600

I have heard that the oil control rings on Blacktops aren't that great/they all use oil, so you would be better off rebuilding it anyway.

what happened to lingling? I actually felt bad when I realized he wasn't posting :-(