Moving to Hamilton - But where?

dylann

So ive come up with this brilliant idea to gtfo of auckland since its expensive and shit. Taking a trip down next week to explore and stuff.

I want to buy a house in hamilton, but which areas should I "avoid"? Also advice about living in hamilton/not having a sister to be incestuous with.

Don't do:

Bader

Melville

Dinsdale

5 cross roads

Fairfield

Claudelands

Riverlea

Silverdale

Fitzroy

Nawton

Maeroa

Deanwell

Glenview

Enderley

Do consider:

Pukete

Rototuna

Huntington

Hillcrest (students)

Hamilton East (students)

maybe Forest Lake

Chartwell

Queenwood

Chedworth

Braithwaite Park

Saint Andrews

Don't buy in Fairfield bro. It doesn't matter how awesome the house is, you'll lose all your shit all the time. 5 crossroads boarders Fairfield

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35312

Pm me a few pads you are checking out if you want. We bought in Hamilton relatively recently so looked at everything possible, prety much most things between $200 and 400k to get a feel for what money could buy in different parts of town. Gave us a fairly good idea of what is around and I still keep an eye on the market because I'm now a house geek haha

not exactly relevant but lol'd:

"The females at this establishment were uncouth, of lower socioeconomic stock, had poor oral hygiene, minimal comprehension of the English language, poor fashion sense, and cankles. Basically, all that is wrong with New Zealand was on display. Wall to wall peasants. One could not wait to get back to Ponsonby." review for outback inn on google maps

Don't buy in Fairfield bro. It doesn't matter how awesome the house is, you'll lose all your shit all the time. 5 crossroads boarders Fairfield

//oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35312

Pm me a few pads you are checking out if you want. We bought in Hamilton relatively recently so looked at everything possible, prety much most things between $200 and 400k to get a feel for what money could buy in different parts of town. Gave us a fairly good idea of what is around and I still keep an eye on the market because I'm now a house geek haha

Oh true, i kind of like my shit so i think ill take this advice. Still having a look around, only have around 270k to spend so im kind of limited, will definately flick you a pm once ive found some though cheers :)

How accurate would this map be, the red being areas to gtfo. Found it on nzhondas lol

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/ ... ance-1.png

The "new" subdivisions etc are around pukete and rotatuna, so thats where the professionals/executives tend to live.

I really rated Hamilton East, it is really close to town and it has a lot of its own shops etc. Though there are some run down studenty areas.

I would take into consideration the proximity of your work because the rush hour traffic is starting to get a little bad, so crossing town to get to work can be a bit of a downer. But I suppose if you're from Auckland then you're not really going to mind a half hour commute to work...

Thanks will keep it in mind, that list fuel provided really helped so far.

I have 2 houses lined up at the moment, 1 in hillcrest in and chartwell. My only conditions is that it's own driveway, and 3+ bedrooms, so that makes it slim pickings from what i've seen.

But of course i would like to secure a job first.

I'd probably be biking to work if i lived ~10 minutes drive or so away depending on the traffic experience :lol:

Don't do:

Bader

Melville

Dinsdale

5 cross roads

Fairfield

Claudelands

Riverlea

Silverdale

Fitzroy

Nawton

Maeroa

Deanwell

Glenview

Enderley

I have lived in:

Melville

Glenview

Dinsdale

Deanwell

Hillcrest

And I think there is nothing wrong with these areas at all. And what's your basis of discounting Fitzroy, that's an older but nice area...

I agree with avoiding:

Bader

Hamilton East

Fairfield / 5X Roads

Enderly

Claudelands

Also if you don't mind a bit of driving out lying towns such as Cambridge, Te Awamutu etc are also options, House Prices in Te Awamutu about $50k or more cheaper than an equivalent in Hamilton.

Having Lived in Hillcrest, Hamilton East & Huntington, I'd say go for any of these areas.

Although, if you're living close to the Uni, you have to be sure to keep the house locked up.

When I was living 1 street away from the Uni, we got broken into 3 times.