Flibois moped cafe racer

BlownCorona

jaycar rectifier for a battery charger, about $10.

good for 10 amps or so. have used them on old triumphs/bsas etc.

you will need a battery to act as a regulater.

ill need to go into jaycar to get diodes anyway, so ill take a look at their rectifiers and probably just get one of those for ease of use, and because they are probably in a housing.

yep got the battey, $20 from avon city suzuki :D

the coils at work and the likes of the gt40 are all for cars with 12v, will this be an issue?

i know bubbles ha provided alot of info on why this IS a correct coil, and looking at the diagrams it looks to be accurate,

but can anyone say why this is wrong? and that even if i tap the wire off the condensor, like there may or may not have been in the past, why it wont work?

sorry for all the questions, i think coils are the last thing on small motorbikes that i dont understand :(

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a coil designed for use with a ballast resistor. It's a 6v coil that relys on the ballast resistor when it's used on a 12v system.

Sorry I haven't read all this topic so I couldn't say for sure.

The new coil you have is for a magneto ignition, you could use it but I don't know what voltage the magneto generates, if it's much higher than 6-7v then that coil won't make much spark off your C90 battery.

You do need a condenser on the negative side of the coil with the points. It works like a damper as the points open the spark will jump across the points as they open without one.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question375.htm

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa052502a.

i think i have an old coil from the corona in the shed, uses a ballast resistor, i lost spark on the corona one day and replaced the whole lot with another one i had so i dont know if it even works, but worth a shot. can get those coils at work for 20 bucks cheaper than this one from honda, before my staff discount.

honestly looks to be the best option now, can slip a redbull can over it and be hardcore

Econohonda have had another look at their stock and found, what sounds like a proper original coil for a c90.

twin wire, one red one green, apparently labled for a c90 scoot.

100% not sure why i wasnt sent this one on the first place, but shit happens, and my mate will just get his bike worked on in the mean time, poor him.

cheers to governersams tip that jaycar sell cheap rectifiers, got a couple for about $6

but now my fucking 100w soldering iron is refusing to solder to the wires coming off them even though it should be more than powerfull enough, might just have to attach a chocolote block to each lead :doubt:

all good man,

a rectifier is what changed AC power to DC power, i think youre thinking of a regulator? in my bike, the battery acts as the regulator. but i do have a straight wire the head headlights that doesnt run though the batt..

but another regulator may do it. im sure governersam would be able to offer a few opinions.

are you still running the LED bulbs? i dont think they are too happy with the pulsing electricity you get from that line, in which case im sure a reg would help.

ive tried tinning the soldering iron, its like it cant get the wire hot enough.

about to go out and file up the tip and see what happens. (for what its worth, im generaly quite good at wiring, this is the first time ive hand an issue with my gun)

• 2 weeks later...