CNC issues - fagor 8055

Steelies

m53.jpg

no thats not our mill

anyone familiar with Fagor CNC control magic boxery?

heres a story:

our mill was brand new

our mill was 'delivered' by NZ Cranes.

our mill was dropped in the middle of the driveway in the pouring rain by NZ Cranes

craned back upright, jammed in the workshop to get it off the driveway.

naturally nobody knew who was liable for the incident, turns out it seemed to happen in a bermuda triangle of insurance where NZ Cranes cover came to a grand total of $1500.

shit got crazy and it all washed over resulting in us with a mill that we had to get running so it wasnt just a giant letterbox for the workshop. the casing was fucked, took us a wee while to get it fixed, installed and comissioned.

we did some saweet work on it for 6 months or so, it was cranking. sciency stuff never got to anything cool like bike sprockets. all in good time.

then, magically something changed. (this is about a year ago now, finally got a spare moment to look in to it now) it started making the odd crazy move, sporadically. make its last cut then rapid movement in some direction and break our nice shiny tools off/destroy job.

parameter/setting change? we did no such. we were producing 50-odd of the same simple job over a few weeks, at about number 30 or so it busted out this new move, tool and job bit the dust.

check program, reset, restart, ran fine.

bam! b-boy crazy legs again.

at this point we got scared.. checked everything again, reset etc, but shit was funky..

home search - Z is the first axis to home, it heads straight down rather than home which is up.

WTF? do it again, machine homes fine and dandy.

WTF? do again. funky Z comes back.

too much to deal with, shutdown.

now the problem is consistent, Z is moving in the wrong direction.

just before you say anything - yes, NZ Cranes should sort it out, yes it's been left too long, no NZ Cranes wont come to the party, yes insurance should have been better sorted out, it's far too late to worry about that jazz so i just want to fix the problem.

so Z is homing the wrong way.

i changed the homing direction parameter on Z to see if it'd be happy. homes upwards now, but runs straight past home position and hits the limit switch.

i think i missed a step after changing the parameter to reset a zero point but at least it was a step in the right direction (pun)

aside from the home position issue this Z direction business is dumb.

damaged servo drive magic from being dropped?

will set parameters back to standard this avo

so, obviously i dont know enough about all this and thus will probably be the worst person to mess around with settings and parameters. unlucky.

any ideas you pros out there?

had a geez at the encoder, seems ok. should be able to get it tested here at work.

moved on to the Z-axis switches, which i should have already looked at, kinda obvious.

only one of the two plungers made a clicky sound when puched by hand, so off comes the unit and the back cover..

i wonder if this could be part of the problem?

SAM_0986.jpg

SAM_1000.jpg

unit was completely sealed, except for the cable shroud in the top i guess. seems like more crap in there than we could have put in, as the machines been used so little. stoked though, kinda like finding that missing vacuum line on an engine that wont behave.