Converting my 6volt moped headlight to an LED?

AndyGal

What involved in this?

I found a powerful LED at jaycar that will fit nicely that will apparently work at 6 volts.

Iv heard you need a transformer to get the right voltage?

and a regulator to keep it steady as at the moment the lights go up and down with the rev's. This is fine but I don't want to blow the expensive LED.

My headlight is a 6v 25watt.

I dont know anything about electrical things so all advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

Posting interest in this. I need to change my front lights to LED as the new motor cant cope with 55w car bulbs anymore :(

Got 2 nice projector lamp housings which take something that looks like a H1 bulb.... and would be keen to whack in a couple of CREE beasty LED's. Would like to limit current draw to a max of 15w per lamp.

Depends on the LED.

LEDs will blow up if you put too much current through them so they need to be regulated. This can be done as easy as putting the correct resistor in line with it or by building a constant current regulator.

Constant current reg is the best option and depending on required power, a simple LM317 regulator and 1 resistor is all you need.

If you use just a resistor, the brightness will change depending on your input voltage. With a constant current supply, it will be the same brightness across an range of input voltages.

I've been to jay car and at first they thought I should build a small circuit with everything I need.

That would have been fine, but they then showed me a unit that is already built, waterproofed, and heatsunk.

So i need a AA0264 Power transformer

AA0594 Led supply

and im going to get a Z00449 Led apparently its the most powerful single Led they have can crank out 700 lumins!

I cant find that part for the LED on the jaycar website....

Those constant current drivers are pretty sweet. Pulled one to bits to check it out and they are quite good. You can get a different one that has brightness control too :)

LED is ZD0449. Im thinking one of those for low beam with appropriate 700mw controller. Should give me useful light? Or i could just drop in a 35W HID kit.

Guess i really should find out what sort of bulb is in there at the moment so i can calculate what wattage i can get away with.

The forward voltage of those LEDs is 13.8V and the driver will need some headroom too but the datasheet doesn't tell you what it is.... Could be as low as .2V but eill likely be .6V or 1.2V but it could even be 3.2V which means you'll need that voltage above the 13.8V from the LED which could make it difficult/impossible to drive from a 12V supply.

That transformer should cut it or you could use a different LED setup...