Triumph Fuel Economy

Southerner

Ive got my mk 2 triumph, with a 2.5 tc engine with 's' carbs and the overdrive gearbox. A whole tank is 63.6 litres to fill so over $120 in 95 octane fuel.

When driveing it you can get 280km out of the first half of the tank according to the gauge, but the second half goes down in 100km or 150km max.

I am wondering if this is normal for a triumph? I understand that its a 6cylinder carbied car, and its heavy! Ive had it tuned up and put a new air filter in but this hasnt helped much at all.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Cheers

I used to get 600km from a tank out of my PI with a pair of HS6 SU's on it once I chucked the manual OD box in. 90% of that driving was open road. Car was well tuned, running on 185/80/13 tyres with appropriate pressures.

Fuel light started flickering on at over 1/4 of a tank.

But yeah, totally acceptable fuel economy. I'm now battling 11.8l/100km with the Datsun, which is 250kg heavier however.

i donno bout fuel economy Triumph2500 should know hes owned a few give him a pm but when you say there a big heavy car thats not tru i always thought they were too then we put one on the weigh bridge and it was under 1300kg lighter then my evo and all the other jap cars we put ova that day

We used to get 30 mpg in our UK manual overdrive 2500S. Thats 9.4 L/100km for you young folk btw. Pretty bloody good for a heavy car thats cruised beautifully.

My much lighter Viva only manages 27 mpg (10.4l/100) but it has got one of them dangfangled thirsty pulsing wankel thingees.. probably slowed down by all the hoes I pick up..

I once got 36 mpg out of my old 2500 TC with a manual overdrive box, that was on the open road during a Christchurch to Timaru round trip.

As noted above the mileage drops considerably for round town trips and suffers alot in stop - start traffic.

The fuel gauge in mine always seemed to be pretty spot on, but as others have suggested try refilling the tank from different levels to see what the 'real' reading is

yea the light flickers from 1/4 of a tank aswell, yea it does suffer quite bad round town, but on the open its pretty decent, cruises amazing on the open road aswell. Goes much better since i redid the timing. This car has been my favourite car ive owned and would recommend them to anyone.

This car has been my favourite car ive owned and would recommend them to anyone.

One of the most undervalued cars in the world I think. They always make me smile and I always wonder why they never sell for much here or in other countries. Such good value.

I guess they don't suffer from scene tax...yet...

When I was 18 I had 6 triumph 2500s at difrint times, cost about $40 or 50 to fill it, they were not bad on the petrol, for the weight of the car, i rember if you gave it full throttle the black smoke and soot comming out the exhaust was funny, would leave a shit stain on the wall.