Vegie's '83 S12 Gazelle

vegie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers guys,

the rocker cover does look a little orange in the pic.

probably the flouro lights in the shed.

its a bit brighter than i expected, buit im used to seeing the old faded red ones,

so its hard to know what "original" red is...

Beautiful car mate but you already knew my thoughts!

Hope to see you out at a few more things though, reckon you'd be keen on a track outing in this for OS Nats in April?

haha cheers,

yeah, was reading up on the track day a little earlier. pretty keen, but most likely cant make a whole weekend of it though due to other commitments.

will need to get some stuff sorted first, like the original fuel pump being on its last legs...lol and not owning a helmet!

so cool.

The old works were sweet too!

committed going 5 stud, leaving behind a whole slew of possible cool wheels, though alot are made in 5 stud too I understand.

but improved braking will probably over-ride this?

Curious as to the bits and pieces of nissan models needed to do so, just for (my) interests sake?

you make it sound rather epic!

Great car/build, theme you've picked is spot on as per Rich & Brads comment

Love it!

cheers mate,

yeah, was a bit of a struggle getting the wheels on there...

back end was easy, just used Z31 300zx stub axles in the original rear arms. changed the rear drive cups from the 3x2 cv type

to the 4x1 bolt r31 turbo type, as these axles/cv's are much stronger and fit straight into the r200.

the rear rotors are also z31 turbo. it turns out they are the same diameter as my originals, just 5 stud.

it looks like the rs-x model got a lot of the good bits off the bigger cars.

fronts proved a little more work. i already had coilovers, but the original 300 lb springs were a tad too soft and short in length, which resulted in the coils binding before the strut ran out of travel. not good! sourced some 350lb springs in a longer flavour, which worked a treat to start with. it meant the platfroms were wound right down to get the right height which resulted in the springs chewing out the threads of the adjustable seats.

started over again using R31 turbo skyline struts from an import, which mean they have slip on hat type rotors(easy to source) and 4pot

gts-t calipers bolt straight on (which will also fit under the wheels). they have a short tube to start with so even lowered have plenty of travel.

i had to remove the stock spring perch as its right where my tyre would sit. all of the coilover hardware i used came off an s14 set of tein coilovers which had rooted inserts. machind off the threaded tubes and welded them onto mine.

i had to use a shorted gas insert shocks, koni's from what exactly i cant remember, as jap R31 inserts arent available here :rolleyes:

it worked out sweet as the teins run short springs with keeper springs, so "heaps" of tyre clearance(ish).

i tried all sorts of front hubs but settled on one of these 2.

dsc00187t.jpg

the factory 5 stud z31 hub works, but would need machining to get a slip on rotor on them, and the push the wheel 12mm further out than the r31 turbo one i used. so i got the engineers at work to redrill them for 5 stud.

fitted on using late 300zx discs (i think!) and used laurel front calipers.

after sorting all that, i wasnt happy with the wheel studs. z31's have the fucking shortest wheel studs ever! like 2 turns of the nut on the watanabes was all you'd get.

took a while to source the correct one to replace with and $250 bucks later, i had to cut them shorter as they were all too long. gah...

finally all together and in it worked, but had to run a small spacer in the fronts as clearance is so tight that the clip on tyre weights had to come off as they hit the strut when they spin past.

easy really. :lol:

would NOT trade again

How did ya get on with the steering rack situation dude?

bit of circus really. couldnt use the manual rack i had, as the input spline was smaller, and couldnt get a connector shaft to suit.

wouldnt have mattered as the crossmember is different too, as it turns out :doubt:

finally tracked a mint one down at a dismantlers in CHCH. $250 later, all was good!

its out of a late model (86-87) S12, and had to modify a boot to fit passenger side, as it was different to what was listed for S12's.

also has about 1/4 turn less lock to lock, so win win really.

cheers for your help there BTW.

Can you please stop making me want to buy an S12 silvia?

See pics, do want.

Nice car/project, love it.

Are these much of a lego set in terms of parts compatibility with other nissans?

cheers man, S12 lust is not a bad thing (till you got to find bits lol)

generally there are pretty much lego, but my model being one of the first built, is a bit of parts bin special.

everything seems to reused off something else, its figuring out what that is, thats the problem!