Ling's Silver Grand Father ---- Plan B (NOT a SPAM THREAD)

LingLing

didnt you just change the water pump?

if so it shouldnt be bearing noise from that.

possibly the cambelt tensioner or alternator bearings.

take the water pump belt off and spin all the pulleys (water pump, alt, power steer if your car has it) if they all spin without noise its prob not them and might be the tensioner bearing.

if you do that, spin the crank pulley to TDC (marks on the pulley, bottom cambelt cover, cam gears and metal bracket the top cam gear cover bolts to.) loosen the bolt on the tensioner so the cambelt slacks off, there should be a small spring on a little hook that will need to come off too, install new tensioner and do the reverse of what you just did.

hey persto

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, Got two Random Exhaust manifold shield from my mate today, ready to modify them and give a crack on fitting to the car.

I have also been thinking about these suspension arms and linkages.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 383683.htm

155697308_full.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 744580.htm

192887561_full.jpg

I can't get my head around, I can get Nolathane Bushes and make the car's links and arms more stable and free movement in the right directions.

Could someone please educate me on these ? and they're adjustable why?

Those arms will make the car quite stiff and rattly, they have rose joints instead of bushes for pretty much zero give.

They're adjustable so you can better set your wheel alignment. Adjustable trailing arms can be used to change the pinion angle of your diff for better traction.

For a road car, I think they're a WOFTAM. New nolathane bushes would be plenty enough.

very advanced for me to understand you here.

I can see how front castor arms can adjust chamber angle etc.

Pinion angle is the angle between diff and drive shaft right?

how does it make the diff work differently?

Thanks for your infor, so you saying I wouldn't never ever need them unless I turn it to a full race car?

Get some nolathane bushes like he suggested instead. A lot less work, they wont ride as rough as rose joints, will last longer, wont need cert and you wont have to set it all up anyway. You'll be happy enough with how the original arms perform lingling. The bushes will just make it feel more responsive

Yup, its pretty full on stuff, and I certainly dont claim to be an expert on suspension. Castor arms are for adjusting castor more than camber, which affects your steering (more castor, harder to turn but will self centre quicker). Pinion angle can affect traction, but depends how much your diff twists under load...I imagine it wouldnt be a huge amount. Definitely heaps to read up about on the net, but like I said, no point for a road car. New bushes will be ample. Every car that I've put nolathane into is night and day to drive afterward, makes a massive difference.

Every car that I've put nolathane into is night and day to drive afterward, makes a massive difference.

Right That's what I want to hear!!

They're offering Life Time warranty now. Differently in my to Do list.

Anyone know where I can get them for Good Price?

ebay. NZ crowds seem to charge far too much.

I put a set into my MR2 and the difference was HUGE.

Do you have an old BBQ a-ling? they work great for burning out the old bushes- just sit the arm in the heat and let the rubber burn out by itself.

Alternatively you can squeeze most bushes out using a 3 jaw puller and some imagination... but this is tricky and hard work.

OR just take all arms to an engineer and get them pushed out using a press. Just warn them that if they bend any of your arms you'll get the asian mafia onto them.

Installing the new nolithane bushes is EASY as they are usually all in two halfs a bench vice makes some of them go in easier.

keep paint handy as the bbq will burn all the paint off.

I am unsure how adjusting pinion angle increases traction........................... you dont adjust antisquat by doing this.

ebay. NZ crowds seem to charge far too much.

I put a set into my MR2 and the difference was HUGE.

Do you have an old BBQ a-ling? they work great for burning out the old bushes- just sit the arm in the heat and let the rubber burn out by itself.

Alternatively you can squeeze most bushes out using a 3 jaw puller and some imagination... but this is tricky and hard work.

OR just take all arms to an engineer and get them pushed out using a press. Just warn them that if they bend any of your arms you'll get the asian mafia onto them.

Installing the new nolithane bushes is EASY as they are usually all in two halfs a bench vice makes some of them go in easier.

keep paint handy as the bbq will burn all the paint off.

I am unsure how adjusting pinion angle increases traction........................... you dont adjust antisquat by doing this.

right, in that case, I may need to buy some second hand suspension arms to start with.

well, I will see I guess, but I am keen to do them at the same time I am doing my shocks and springs etc.

Cheers for your Infor man, Cleared my head with these after market racing linkages and arms.

Can you not just use a driller to brake the rubber a bit? and the the rest should easy to take off?

Also, companies just smash out nolathane bushes for everything, with no thought as to whether it causes binding of the suspension, as people just buy them BECAUSE OMFG NOLATHANE. (And rose joints)

There's no way you can have a 4 link/panhard with all rose joints, that will not bind when the body rolls... But companies sell them anyway, because people buy them.

And yeah, you cant just burn out the bushes because they're contained in a steel sleeve that needs removal too, which can be an utter prick of a thing to do if they've rusted in slightly.

replacement rubber is the way to go for the 4 link in my opinion, maybe nolathane/rose joint for the panhard rod only.

Avoid rosejoints if you can, it's diminishing gains for a much shorter lifespan until replacement.

Andy, see here and prepare to be poor forever:

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86

Those suspension arms on TM are shit. shit finishing on the arms so they rust super quick and shit rod ends that will flog out instantly. avoid at all costs. You however don't need a cert for these arms as you've been told above. My Silvia has adjustable arms everywhere and these are not listed on the cert plate.

Here's the direct link to T3's urathane bush set:

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... 86-corolla

I don't share others views about urathane bushes being unsuitable for a road car. I have never had any go squeaky on me so maybe I've just been lucky.

If you want a hand getting old bushes out I can show you how. It's not too hard with some proper tools.