4age experts apply

crustywhip

I am new to this and never driven a 4age powered car let alone worked or read up about them, so Im after some help from the experts. Engine is a bluetop with T50 gearbox fitted to datsun 120y

My main questions are;

Why do they lean to the exhaust side as I would like it to sit upright. Almost every picture I look at they lean with some more than others.

Can a 20v intake work with the factory computer and is this ok with the big port? Big port being tvis

I tried the search but ideally after a direct answer as engine is in the car with mounts being made once I find the reason for the lean.

If there is any thing else to look for please advise as my current daily is thursty so wanting to get this back on the road.

They can sit upright or have a slight lean to exhaust side, have seen plenty examples of both and not heard any horror stories.

Factory 20v manifold will not fit 16v, but can easily make a manifold to fit 20v throttles to bigport head. Bluetop computer won't run them, but may be able to use 20v computer? I am not 100% sure

Its best to leave the early gen motors on a lean, as they have shit oil return holes to start with, and at high rpm they flood the head with oil, if you sit them up, it makes them drain ever slower.

Regarding the std blue top ecu, you can run quads with them I think, but theres a fair bit of fucking about.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure what you mean about the 20V manifold on the blue top, like bolt the whole thing on or just the quads? Bolting the hole thing on would be nightmare, and way more work than its worth. Converting to quads only really makes sense if you're tuning the shit out of it really, other wise you wont notice much difference IMO. They say the std manifold is good upto around 200hp anyways.

I can't remember what guys do to run ITB's on the 16V's, but you need a MAP sensor I presume as they are all AFM (I think small port is AFM as well).

IF any other factory computer is going to be able to run it you would need the blacktop 20V ecu and associated MAP, but it would likely also be an absolute nightmare.

Also 4age in a 120y?

I think only the 20V silver top is AFM, all the others are MAP? Well some countires got AFM blue tops and so on, but doubt there would be any in nz? The problem with quads is they give off a really ruff vac signal (cant think of a better way to word it) so you need to join all the quad vac lines into a little tank, to even out/soften the signal before you pipe it into the MAP sensor, but then the level is different anyways.

This may all be shit, I aint played around with this shit for a few years, and I have a shit memory.

I think only the 20V silver top is AFM, all the others are MAP? Well some countires got AFM blue tops and so on, but doubt there would be any in nz? The problem with quads is they give off a really ruff vac signal (cant think of a better way to word it) so you need to join all the quad vac lines into a little tank, to even out/soften the signal before you pipe it into the MAP sensor, but then the level is different anyways.

This may all be shit, I aint played around with this shit for a few years, and I have a shit memory.

Yeah you are right (just did a quick google refresher course in 16V 4age), I had my facts wrong. It's been a while since I have played with them, and haven't even looked at my current bluetop in much detail. (for 20v's ST is definately AFM and BT is definately MAP).

No Map factory 16v ECU will run the 20v quads, and putting a 20v ecu on it would make it a piece of shit, plus you would have to convert the dizzy etc fuck that. Basically you need a aftermarket ECU if you want quad throttle bodies. Plus you would no doubt end up loosing TVIS which will make a stock engine allot slower

You wouldn't ever want to run quads on a standard ECU. If you want quads on a 16V motor you need two things - a programmable ECU (link/megaquirt/etc) and a manifold to allow you to bolt the quads up to the 16V head.

You can buy the appropriate manifold or you can make one yourself if you're handy with a welder. The most common place for getting one off the self is Techno Toy Tuning. http://technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=372

With quads you get a very quirky vacuum signal as VG has pointed out above. Don't bother with one of those manifolds as you'll inevitably end up with a shit signal regardless. You will want to tune your ECU with TPS vs RPM, instead of MAP vs RPM to get around this. All of the common ECUs can handle this.

^ what these geezers said.

either keep it stock with a few tweaks, exhaust, extractors and decent cold air intake.

or

spend heaps on na stuff. and make a bit more power

or

turbo it for less than above and make lots more power.