Megasquirt issues - timing?

NicT

Megasquirt is being interesting.

Car is setup as follows, Cam 314/308, quads, headers, single transformer type coil with external ignitor (simple FET style with overcurrent protection)

Alpha-N tuning with timing running from the 4 tooth wheel and the factory VR pickup in a 4age dizzy.

Set the timing to fixed at 15 degrees in tuner studio to pull ign timing into line with what the ecu thinks it should be.

Put the timing light on the crank and the mark is dancing around like a mad-man, anywhere from 25 degrees advanced to 5 degrees retarded.

It was worse when running the internal ignitor and i was getting noise.

Ideas on what it could be?

Could coil dwell settings cause such bad ignition timing issues?

Going to get new leads and plugs tomorrow then attack it again.

Have tried fiddling with those settings with no effect to result. However before tonight the car had a cracked coil and was missfiring. The missfire is better now but still terrible. Might be a compound of heaps of problems all at the same time. Will work from plugs back

is it MS1(eek) MS2 or MS3?

are you triggering on leading or falling edge?

i doubt dwell is the issue, simple things first; how free from noise are the VR signal(s) at the megasquirt-end of the loom?

for the VR signal, i'd use twisted-pair at the least or preferably a fully shielded cable.

you might need a 'scope, setting my VR zero-crossing (R56) and hysteresis (R52) on my jimstim helped but on the vehicle it could be different. i made a crappy youtube video a while ago, which might help -

also, be sure you understand this document

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/vradjust.htm

EDIT: could you drop your msq and a datalog here also?

I seem to remember Keith Stewart telling me about a similar problem when was tuning my wagons link.

In his case - it was to do with the software having an issue where you couldnt set the ignition timing within a certain range for some software reason or it would start jumping all over the show. He had to re-calibrate the triggers to an incorrect value so he could set the timing cells at like 60 degrees for idle to avoid the 10-30 degree range. So it was still actually firing at 15 degrees but the software didnt think so.

Thats what i remember him saying anyways.

going to be the first dick to suggest removing/inspecting the vr/distributator + drive,

(i dont believe it is that, it is only so you can say "oh davey, it is -definitely, definitely- not mechanical, because i inspected it myself and i am qualified to do so")

Slap the MSExtra code on it and rule the world.

Did this first,

capture is on rising edge,

VR is wired into VR input one

Distributor is bluetop running 4 tooth

Tested distributor with drill and measured noise seems legit

Did get a chance to get to car tonight had family shit. Tomorrow, need an oscilliscope first time in my life i could actually use one and an induction meter.

Seriously dude, once youve checked everything else - try the timing thing i mentioned. Keith was telling me it drove him fucking nuts for aaaaages. Im fairly certain it was the same flavour megasquirt too. Had exactly the same problems you describe.

Car ran primo before with exact same dizzy and coil setup on factory bluetop, i have not modified or changed either, only thing i did was put a new o-ring on dizzy where it enters the head, thats it.

I have a raft of measuring equipment i have borrowed from work that im going to test a few things on.

Will start with new plugs and leads, then run up car and see what output timing from ecu is set to using automotive multimeter (which will tell me base timing and rpm based on pulses from ecu) this will show me if the ecu is infact outputting 15 degrees

Then i will check static load on coil, resistance of coil, induction on coil, and set dwell according to these.

Also reset timing belt tension and i retimed my cam last night as i was curious to see if that was out to what it was ment to be. It was fine.

Ecu is a microsquirt so i have no pots to tune in VR as per these documents http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/vradjust.htm trying to see if theres something about this on microsquirt.info now.

have you physically set the dizzi up to check where the rotor is pointing at tdc? if its too far advanced or retarded then the spark can jump to the wrong cylinder. dnt waste money on plugs and leads if they are fine. measure the resistance of the leads first, i doubt thats whats wrong.

3 ms dwell at 14 volts will work fine, more at cranking speeds/low voltage.

get a g4

I set the dizzy as per instruction by toyota, engine TDC, timing marks on gear inline, fit dizzy.

I even got a smashed cap, cut a hole in it and checked rotor position as it gets to tdc of ever cylinder.

Leads and plugs cost nothing, and i already have them in my possesion.

Next time i will get a g4

try using the tooth logger in TunerStudio -- it's pretty much a poor man's scope, albeit located after the ADC/VR conditioning circuit :)

edit; i think using the 4-pronger is going to leave something to be desired in terms of resolution in the signal, which could lead to timing errors. the 24 tooth (Ne) signal was added to the newer dizzy's which as someone pointed out, might be a good solution offering you direct ignition also.