touched up panels are lighter, but using the same paint

BlownCorona

So i've just had a couple panels re done as the paint didn't go on thick enough and you could still see the patches of primer, i just got back to see the car and the panels are way lighter :(

my mate used the exact same paint (left over from original), i haven't had a chance to speak to him to see what's up as he's away this weekend, but thought someone on here might no what's going on?

it looks terrible and i cannot leave it like this... the actual painting looks great, like a mirror but its like its a different shade completely.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a metalic colour yeah?

I'm told that some metalic paints will look different if the panel is painted laying on its flat, rather than hanging vertically. something to do with the way the metal particles lay onto the panel.

But I'm not a painter's arsehole. So don't take what I say as gospel.

both times the car was painted as a whole (to avoide miss matched ironicly) i dont know how many coats went on, the other problem is,

bit of pre info, the panels painted were the passengers front gaurd and the passenger front door.

the 'join' between the hood and the gaurd looks perfect, but the join between the door and the rear door is utter shit, and i cant notice a change in the shade (though very possible its gradient im sure)

just been around to see the car in some proper light and bring it home, looks like the paint has gone on with more coats and the true colour has come through (the colour under this paint is a darker blue)

so im thinking the only option is to hit the rest of the car with some more coats, does anyone know if the curent lighter panels are gonna show through more paint?

Definately sounds like amount of coats differ between the new and old paintwork or the colour isnt spot on.

Sometimes even with the right code paint can be mixed up and due to error from the person mixing it or if they havent stirred there tinters properly it can come out different. good painters will tint around a mix that doesnt match and if they cant get it spot on they will at least blend it in to the next panel.

if your painter cant suss it i may be able to help, I distributed spies hecker for 3 years and their spectrometer (basically a camera that takes picture of your paint, matches it to a formula in the colour program and then tweaks it to match the sample.....it never let me down even on 3 layer colours.

chur

you see that's what had me confused, it wasn't like the mix was off, we used the exact same paint, as in, there was still half a tin left over from the initial spraying.

that's what leads us to believe its the number of coats causing the issues, i did notice it was a pretty transparent paint when we used it first time.

- Differant layers of paint will not change colour UNLESS one coat is too thin and you can see primer through it, paint is transparent some more so than others.

- How long has the paint been sitting since you originally painted

- Does the paint have any pearl in it?

If the car is all masked up then it will not be much effort to scotch pad the whole lot and respray.

Gaz

the first respray was about 2 months ago, will this affect the colour in some way?

and the paint has a fair amount of pearl in it, but its a factory toyota colour, from a new runx i believe just from looking at the cars.

the cars not masked up any more, but im happy to put in the hours to get it right, so that's not really a problem and probably what will happen. does anyone know if the miss matched shades at the moment will show through a few more layers of paint or will i need a significant amount, i really don't want the first problem all over again

saw this thread last night but i was far from capable of operating the keyboard

- Differant layers of paint will not change colour UNLESS one coat is too thin and you can see primer through it, paint is transparent some more so than others.

from what ive read gaz nailed it just there.

you say you could see primer though the previous coats leading me to believe the paint is wees thin and or your painter didnt lay down enough coats, so now you had these repainted the adjacent panel that hasnt been repainted is still letting the old colour show though

will need the whole side hitting with another coat... probably

ps its not metalux is it?

yeah that's the exact conclusion i came to today looking at it in good light, the og colour was a dark blue.

the new new colour looks more solid and deeper and just nicer in general, so yeah.. more of the same.

will see my mate about tomorrow and sus it out, the real problem now is that the place were we sprayed it is no longer available so ill have to hunt out a spare garage somewhere.

pics, finaly

original imperfection, a bad photo because i was trying to hide it, but you get the idea.

dscf1400x.jpg

current cause of depression,

a little bit exaggerated due to the back being in shade and all, but again you get the idea.

the resprayed panels just look nicer as you can see.

img20111114154032.jpg

edit: worth noting that the a pillar hasnt been re sprays and thats how the pearl acts in direct sunlight, which i love