touched up panels are lighter, but using the same paint

BlownCorona

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need a bit more than 1l to do the whole car two coats, Id go with 2l min, 2l will cost about $100 depending on brand... autothane, dulon, kobra.

Paint costs depend on alot of things like.. brand, base colour/tinting, metalics, pearls... for example reds are pretty expensive where as whites are cheap. General retail for a metalic would be about $180-200 for 4l which would be enough to do most cars.... be aware that better quality paints cover better than cheap ones.

Gaz

Just had another thought.. Have you thought about just painting the car in a metalic blue of your choice and running no pearl? Pearls make it harder to paint + really hard to patch if you ever need touch ups... or if your set on a pearl then you could put some dust type pearls mixed into the clearcoat, I have had this done on one of the cars I painted.

Gaz

sorry to be so confusing, paint is about the only thing i don't know alot about with cars.

at this stage i think id be happier just respraying the whole car rather than trying to match it all up, the body work is done and i wouldn't mind tidying up a couple things i missed so it wont take very long at all, ill definitely talk to some pros, (both my mate that sprayed it is not working in the industry and i have another auto sprayer mate, so their bosses should be able to shed some light)

if it is not a pearl it may still need a ground coat some colours just do

adding pearls does not make them harder to spray and pearls do not 'lay different' only metallic flakes do due to there weight (pearl is like dust not flakes)

adding pearls to the clear coat will make them harder to match as they alter the appearance of the base coat underneath thus making it hard to match the colour

some brands of 'wet on wet' primer can be tinted to make a fast ground coat as they have epic coverage but as you already have a car close to the colour you want this is almost a step back.

Toyota as far as i can remember reserve the 3 layer pearls for whites every thing else is just plain met paint

for a reasonable non metalic 2k paint its often better to buy in 5L commercial kits ie PPG CV 2k is $230 trade for 4l of colour and 1l hardener and was only $18 cheaper to buy a 3L kit

base coats can vary between $30L to $200L depending on what it is

clear coat kits are normally between $150 for a 4L kit (nasty shit/quite yellow) to $300 for some sweet stuff

acrylic paint ie dulon as kk mentioned are around $30 to $100 per litre depending on brand/colour etc

cheaper paints as mentioned take more material to get even coverage wouldn't be unusual to cost more than buying quality material and using less of it

• 2 weeks later...

Cant sleep. dragging up this thread.

I'm only self taught but heres a few things I THINK I know. Probably repeating what others have said.

Pearls aren't as hard to spray as people think. Just need to mix them properly and keep the pressure and distance consistent which is the same for any paint. Metallics require a certain spray pattern so you dont get a stripey look. I do this with pearls out of habit but not sure if its necessary. Both are slightly opaque so you need a uniform base surface. Candys are the worst.

I have the most trouble getting the clear on nicely without a booth. You have ample time to spot imperfections and fix them while basecoating. Your painter should have spotted that a mile away unless he did it in the dark.

Go to your local paintshops and ask if they have any non metallic basecoat mis-tints. If your lucky they'll have something compatible and cheap that has a good colour base for your metallic to go over. Otherwise light grey/white primer over the whole panel. No spots or atleast finish on distinct bodylines.

My basecoat of choice is dupont centari 600. $30-$70 by the litre depending on colour and pearls. sweet coverage.

Metalux is crap.

Oh and I'd be willing to bet that your painter didn't thoroughly mix the paint before redoing those panels...

Probably gave it a swirl or a shake but there'll still be a thick silver metallic paste in the bottom of the can... Have to stir it upwards for quite a while. What you've been left with is the lighter metallics and the opaque blue tint. Having that over (I assume)the previously laid clearcoat is why it appears alot lighter and less flakey.