touched up panels are lighter, but using the same paint

BlownCorona

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the paint has a fair amount of pearl in it, but its a factory toyota colour, from a new runx i believe just from looking at the cars.

Paints with alot of pearls are a bastard to lay and will normally be faded in to ensure colour consistancy. From looking at your pics however the colour is wrong, not an issue with metalics/pearls/coverage... the colour is miles differant! Are you 100% sure the paint is from the same can, I.e no way it could have been mixed up with another can or something? Using differant thiners etc can change the gloss level etc but from the pics the colours are completly differant.. what was added/used this time differant to last? Is there a clear on both, was any colour added to the clear? Is it 1k or 2k?

Gaz

Were they both painted in the same conditions? ie booth or if outside was the weather fairly similar.

(I know fuck all about painting - but I do recall the odd thing being said about painting in a booth vs not can make a massive difference to the finished product.)

was only patch primed.

and no way in hell am i just gonna roll that haha, my mate was back today and said hes almost certain the guy that supplied us the paint was also supposed to supply us with a ground coat, this was the case with his evo, and the paint brand was the same.

the plan is to hit the car with a couple more coats and bring it all up to the 'new' colour, which really looks a million times better.

^^^ Exactly as above. As I said earlier some paints are very transparent, candy paints being the most. Pearls are expensive and so usually only the last two coats are sprayed using the pearl paint or the pearl is added to the clearcoats. The other base coats are what provides the cover over the primer. Base coats can be any similar colour to what your pearl mix is, the closer the better. If I was you I would be laying a base over the whole car and then put the pearl mix down, if you dont you run the risk of using alot of extra paint to cover.

Gaz

It will be cheaper because it does not have pearl in it, not because it is a cheaper paint. Take your current pearl paint into a paintshop and ask them to mix a base to suit. (You must be runing low on the pearl mix by now, how much did you have?)

You may not have to lay the base over the whole car but you wont know untill you spray the top coats on again, to be safe Id spray the whole car.

I would also explain your problem to the paint shop people to confirm what has been said here, it is the interwebs afterall where everyone is a pro at everything.

Gaz

im not 100% sure on how much pearl i have but ill have to sort that out before i start again, naturally. i may be in luck and have enough for 2 or 3 coats.

and yeah i think ill go in and have a chat to them too. out of curiosity, anyone know roughly what a basic blue is worth per litre?