Make muffler quieter

mad_max

Looking at getting a car thats pinkied for noise and want to get it off asap. He said theres a hole in muffler but if heas just using that as an excuse, what can I do to make it quieter? Some sort of baffle? Have heard something about that steelo stuff for dishes?

Cheers

Yeah steelos can quieten it down but last precisely 7 minutes - I know cos I did it on my open pipe T-Bucket before driving a return trip Wellington to Whangamata. Driving from Ngauranga Gorge to Whangamata and home with an no muffling of any description was choice...

best bet is to add in a straight through resonator from a standard car. they quieten it by heaps! used one on my car and it went from ear-splittingly loud back to around 98db which is kinda alright.

what size exhaust is it? one i used was 2.25 and iirc mr2 turbos run quite a big exhaust from factory.

make a plate like a gasket and then drill lots of little holes in the middle instead of cutting out whole center

bolt it in and it should shut it up and gain you some back-pressure

tried this with some really coarse stainless mesh (essentially plate with 2mm holes drilled in it) didn't work at all just caused heaps more back pressure so all the joins in my exhaust leaked :(