Bleed valve only increasing boost by a miniscule factor?

0R10N

Are turbos too newschool for oldschool? Anyway.

Recently swapped out a fucked VF8 hybrid turbo for a VF10 hybrid (smaller exhaust housing for better spool) on the 1600cc B6T engine that's in my Laser TX3. One of the drawbacks of running the hybrid setup on the B6T is the internal wastegate ends up being too small, which leads to overboost. So when the VF10 was assembled, one of the things I made sure to get done was to port the wastegate and fit a larger flap. Think overall diameter increased from around 22mm to 28mm.

New turbo has been fitted and runs fine... with one slight problem: adjusting the manual Go Fast Bits bleed valve to increase boost pressure only results in a measly 0.2 bar increase over standard (which is around 0.6 bar) with the valve fully open, even with a custom pinhole restrictor in the wastegate line.

Before I rip it all out and go through the hassle of re-fitting my fancy Blitz electronic controller, can anyone shed some light on why the boost is only being increased by a miniscule factor? Could it be that the wastegate is nowe simply too efficient/large? Although I wouldn't think so, given that it only opens when the actuator tells it to, and I checked to make sure it was correctly pre-tensioned and wasn't swinging open of its own accord.

Previously, with the VF8 fitted, ten turns of the bleed valve adjuster gave 1.1 bar, however the wastegate was not ported on this setup. With the VF10, ten turns gives no discernible increase over stock.

Not quite game enough to pull the wastegate line completely off and freeboost all over the show, I have slightly moar respect for my car than that.

are you using ALL the same hoses etc? what about the tee off the compressor side of the turbo? if that is larger then the bleed will do less/nothing. if you put a restriction between the compressor connection and the bleed/wastegate it will make the bleed more effective.

In fact im pretty sure I remember doing that exact thing on this exact car way back when with some solder and a tiny drill at my uncles one time and then you ran 22psi? then the motor blew up or something? was that with the same VF8?

yeah that's the restrictor I'm using, you originally made it for my track car (with VF10).

ended up swapping the restrictor over to this TX3 after I pulled the Blitz controller out and put the GFB controller in.

All the hoses are the same, nothing has changed at all in that regard.

haven't accidentally fitted the valve backwards?

bleeds are horrible anyway. best cheap boost up method, spring always wins and is most stable

Definitely fitted it the rite way. Anyway, I took it off and put on the industrial spec Festo ball valve from the track car, and that did the same thing as well (only 0.3 bar additional boost fully open). I then pulled the hose off altogether and went for a freeboost up the grafton gully onramp on the way home from werk. hello 1 bar at half throttle in 3rd :bounce:

so I guess it's efficiency related then, i.e. the bleed not having enough flow to fool wastegate into opening later.

Would lubs to try the spring method but I cannae get to the actuator, it's hard up against the block :doubt:

maybe it's time to build a fancy restrictor canister, like teh one I saw in a book this one time.

Is there a reason most topics on the subject specify that the restriction should be before the valve?

Can't hurt to give it a shot with the restriction after the valve I guess. If anything, the bleed becomes the path of least resistance, amirite?

i would think restrictor after the bleed, would only work if the bleed valve could flow more air than the supply hose. this way you also have more of a boost leak.

i still think you need a smaller restictor in the same place as current one.

is your bleed a straight through type or are you using a tee? if using a tee, even the direction of the tee will make a difference.

i would think restrictor after the bleed, would only work if the bleed valve could flow more air than the supply hose. this way you also have more of a boost leak.

i still think you need a smaller restictor in the same place as current one.

is your bleed a straight through type or are you using a tee? if using a tee, even the direction of the tee will make a difference.

GFB tap, straight-thru type, one of these bad boys. It actually has a restriction already built into it, on the turbo side.

atomic_feature.jpg

The restrictor Testament and I made up all those years ago consisted of a screw head with a hole drilled through it packed with solder, then another pin-sized hole drilled through that. I've taken it out for inspection and cleaning, appears to still be the same. maybe a more robust setup is needed... solid brass tube with an even tinier hole drilled into it?