Opel Vectra Track Car

mikuni

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Markku's other trailer guard that I bought off him, but its quite a thick guage steel so I'm reluctant to use it if I can get away with next to zero weight plastic.

Keen to sell?

Yeah, I paid 50 for it I think, so yours for the same can bring it up Sunday if you want it

brad:

1) What are you doors like after cutting? Still stiff enough when opening and closing?

2) are you keeping the glass or screwig lexan in?

Looking at ways to extensively lighten the cres seen im running NA at the mo. But dont like the idea of having the windows premenately up.

If you're thinking of running the cres in motorsport, leave the drivers door as it is. The MSNZ regs say you aren't allowed to lighten the doors "in any way including window mechanisms" if you don't have side intrusion bars connected to your roll protection.

Didn't see these posts until now.

Due to the fact that you need to run door cars in the front I'm thinking of retaining at least the drivers side window mechanism and just replacing the glass with "lexan". In the scheme of things losing the ability to wind down the windows in the front probably outweight the benifits of the weight saving from the relatively light mechanism. Likewise the side intrusion bars at this stage.

In the rear I'm going to cut everything out from the doors though, as it just doesn't matter. Flex of the doors is minimal but I do still have the intrusion bars in there. If they did get too floppy a cople of well placed alluminium straps would probably hold them together when open. When shut the hinge etc will hold them together, or alternatively just weld them (the rears) shut. For ease of access I won't be doing this though.

I've started cutting out some of the reinforcing from the boot and it has almost halved the weight, but the flex in it is now laughable. I'll probably have to strengthen it again, or try again with another boot only removing certain parts :lol: I have a test bonnet here which I'll trial with before starting with the real bonnet. You can save so much in these areas though!

As far as the rest of the car is concerned Chris, I'd be reluctant to cut anything if you aren't putting a cage in it.

Love the idea of this. Mum has a u13 bluebird sr20de manual that I have been trying to get my hands on forever to do this exact thing. Cheap 2 litre track hack. One day il give you a race if I can ever get it off her hahaha.
Giant2011_54.jpg

You chaps were talking about CV angles or some such wernt ya? That there Bluebird has problems with the CV's poping out due to camber I think. Guess if you widen the track at the bottom, you would need to narrow it at the top as to not pull on the CV's? But that would then put the CV's on even more of an angle I guess?

• 1 month later...

Sneak peak.

Before.

DSC00787-1.jpg

After.

DSC01945.jpg

I do feel I've taken on a little more than I can manage, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. At the moment it is probably 50/50 if I'll even be able to get it back together because I've removed so much from it, but fuck it. :lol: It's a track car I'll just tack it back together, put a really sweet cage in and and go racing/see what falls apart first.. just give me a few years..