Neds 'Quest for Smoke' ('93 LS400)

Ned

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So its a pointless excercise and Ned should be looking elswhere?

Nah, if the AFM is not working correctly the ECU will be fueling incorrectly etc etc.

With it unplugged the ECU bypasses it completely and runs on a mixture of voodoo and witchcraft.

I think the AFM also houses the intake temp sensor, but not 100% on that.

Yeah that's usually the case as the ECU has no idea how much air is going into the engine, hence has no idea how much fuel to add.

Agreed,

I ran my car like this to prime the oil to the new turbo, realistically unless car runs like poos all the time the disconnection method is unlikely to work as a diagnostic tool..

Car appears to run much better when cold....

It is hesitant at low RPM when warm and feels slow off the line. Picks up at 2-3000 RPM and pulls nicely through to 6K. Appears to pick up and go quite well from stand still when cold though. I mean i had traction control kick in this morning when it was dry without trying and can't normally even do that unless i try quite hard.

Found smoke!

No proof other than remains on the road. Single spinner, but left a LARGE amount of smoke behind :D

IMG_20110731_171640.jpg

Was well happy TBH. Car was cold so decided to see if that was the problem. Runs GREAT cold, but shit warm. Now to figure out what that means as i'd like to be able to do skids other than leaving home and work...

Anyone got any ideas?

the UZ in my celica did the same thing.

the wires to the AFM broke (unbeknown to me) and it went heaps better, used MOUNTAINS of fuel but went better.

i reckon this is a common problem with the GEN 1 UZ's because ive herd the same thing from other people, not 100% sure exactly what the problem is but i fixed mine by adding 1x link G4.

there might be an easier way but i dont know what it is.....

• 2 weeks later...

So;

Computer said theres a propblem with the AFM so went to mr Sheepers place and tried his. No better (but he did say his motor did the same thing)

Go on trademe and get guy to come over with a 'known good one' and still no go.

Check O2 sensor signal and one is rocking around .5-.6V and slowly going back down to .1-.2V and then back up to .5-.6V and the other one sits at 0.04V all the time... gues thats fucked then...

Put car in Cams shed to work on it as i got a spare O2 sensor from spank-me but turns out the fucking thing has 4 O2 sensors :( 2 4 wire ones and 2 1 wire ones so don't even know which one is poked.

Figured i should at least hollow out the cats but could't get the frickin thing undone so just helped cam with his AE86 instead.

In the morning i did give it a bit of a clean. Cleaned the windows only as they are due for a tinting next Wednesday. Then glued the 'wood' trim back on the window winder switch things, unblocked the passenger rear door drain thing so the 1L of water could come out. 'Fixed' the aerial so it at least looks like it should (was snapped so just cut in 1/2 and inserted back in so it looks legit) Cleaned all the rubber seals around doors/boot/bonnet as the boot one was full of shit and thought it was a good idea to stop them from getting worse.

Oh, and i may have done a skid....

Jz4dgZwPlto