to locktite, or not to locktite....?

ms53_wagon

hey,

do i need to use locktite (or similar) when re-using flywheel bolts...?

I have been told yes by some peeps on here, but then the guy at BNT that machined my flywheel said no...? not that he was convincing....

They dont use it from factory (do they?), so what is the purpose...?

Is it something to do with re-using the bolts? or just for peace of mind...

Cheers

Loctite and power bar is your best option unless you have a rattle gun - do them up about 1.5 times tighter than wheelnuts..

edit - yeah Spence and I have conflicting answers - His is the right way to do it. Mine is the rough way if you don't have the right tools.

Oh yea Ive done it the K-trips method before, on anything I give a shit about I will torque with new bolts, the bolts are real cheap. In reality the old bolts done up rangi spec should be fine but a 4age sees some revs and would be the safe bet to do it correctly.

cheers.

I have a sweet torque wrench, but thought id get away without new bolts.

will check into getting new bolts and torque to spec (anyone know the spec of the top of their head?)

whats best way to stop engine turning when torquing the flywheel bolts up? crank wheel bolt and power bar?

on same topic - whats the best way of un-doing crank wheel bolt without gearbox on?

Most toyota TSRM's I have say lightly oil the flywheel bolts (this includes the 4age), some toyotas (like the JZ, possibly beams roman?) the bolt holes go through the crank so they have thread sealant on them from factory otherwise they leak. As said use some if you want, a torque wrench is the proper option

Do the bolts up to 75 N.m I think, and yea powerbar jaming the crank bolt will do it

I always use Loctite on flywheel bolts. NEVER use washers.

You can normally use a large screwdriver through one of the crankcase-gearbox bolt holes to lock the ring gear and stop the motor spinning, but with the race cars (and their 105ftlb flywheel bolts) the best way was to have a couple of guys with welding gloves holding onto the ring gear. It hurts, but is good.

I was in the habit of re-using japanese bolts, but less often re-used Ford bolts

I always use Loctite on flywheel bolts. NEVER use washers.

X2. I've even had loctited bolts come undone under extreme conditions.

I reccommend chasing the threads with a tap, and cleaning the holes out with brake clean and compressed air.

Yea the toyota bolts are abit better quality than that and most of the time are fine to re-use

Last set I got from Toyota was about 2 years ago now, but with a discount came to ~ $50 for the set, $17 each is stupid you would be best to go ARP if the prices have actually gone up that much/get someone to give you a special price

the bolt holes go through the crank so they have thread sealant on them from factory otherwise they leak.

That might explain the small leak i have from this area :rolleyes:

I would say yes, should have done the rear main while you were there also.

$50 for a ARP set is sweet