EURON8s Car Trailer / Uni project

EURON8

Almost finished a 12month welding course at tec.

Final part is a project to show off your welding/fab skills.

Always wanted a tandem car trailer so figured this is a prime chance.

Started work on it this morning.

Working at a trailer company that my boss also owns.

Will be made of folder steel sides and RHS crossbeams.

Deck size is approx 4m x 1.9m. tipping, and the tailgates come off to become ramps.

Design is this way as it brings build cost down and will serve as a mutlipurpse trailer. box section in each corner will allow for caged sides to be made later.

Crossbeams and such all cut

IMG_2790.jpg

Basic frame tacked and squared

IMG_2793.jpg

Weld

IMG_2798.jpg

Will have it all pretty welded up and suspension mounts sussed by tuesday so will chuck up some piccys then.

Only got mornings to get across town, work on it and get back to tec for arvo class.

Should be off to galv later next week.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sides are bout 250 high. Folded sides means height is an issue, but with slammed rides it hard to open door anyway so not fussed. Only an issue twice and cunts can just climb out window. Or winch that shit on.

Word ^

Please document the shit outta this, watching with great interest.

Design plans?

No plan yet. Its a basic digger trailer design with altered dimensions.

Gonna be taking a shit load of pics for tec so will slam up lots of the boring tecy ones for you cats.

Once ive put pen to paper and drawn an actual plan of it ill chuck it up.

Btw: its upside down in that full shot

That looks sick. Box sections in the corners will also be good for a wheel rack if you ever want to go racing. Will it be braked?

You just became my new best friend. I farkin hate paying for hire trailers.

that tis some sexy welding there..

Make sure the sides are low enough to be able to open the door on a slammed car once its parked on the deck...

Most car trailers fail in this regard dismally.

I used a trailer recently where the mud guard folded down so you could open the door. Was a really good setup. Didn't get pics unfortunately.

That looks sick. Box sections in the corners will also be good for a wheel rack if you ever want to go racing. Will it be braked?

You just became my new best friend. I farkin hate paying for hire trailers.

Yeah tire rack is on the cards also, Gotta take copious amounts of tires for the seven somehow

Yup sprung, Tandem axle, braked is the ONlY way to go for car trailers IMHO. Have pulled all types and this way is much nicer.

She will be available for hire for nominal fee to OSGCs. Hence why its wide enough to fit felsys grande.

Will prob make some longer ramps later for those slammed rides.

I used a trailer recently where the mud guard folded down so you could open the door. Was a really good setup. Didn't get pics unfortunately.

Quite common on decent hire trailers.

My bad,

My advice (take it with a grain of salt) is to have the ramps as detachable which slide/lock away in/on the deck somewhere. I find (or at least think) the big fold up ramps make a big difference to aerodynamic drag when towing an empty trailer.

Not at works/bosses other companys cost price :wink:

Oldman had all the suspension/hubs/braking shit already for another trailer he wanted to build so i pinched them.

Galv is gonna be the gay one but its only a one off expense really.

^^ agree with this.. within reason, I hired one recently(my own one was stolen) and due to epic draw-bar length it was very lazy to switch direction, made it irritating to do a 90 degree turn in a confined area.

Also axle placement is paramount to make a trailer tow nicely when empty and laden. Mine was around 20-25kg's of draw-bar weight when hooked up..

the hassle with galving is taking it to the shop, a stripped trailer is a bit difficult to handle / transport for your average joe. I borrowed my mates (smaller) trailer and it was fairly dodgy/a bit of a mission..

CHeers for the ideas guys.

But remember im building this at a Trailer company. The top dude has been working with me on fitting my requirements in with what he knows works.

They send fuck loads of trailers off to galv regularly so one would guess transport is sorted.

Forklift makes for easy handling also.

So amped to get back there tuesday morning, Just got 2 days of van and nothingness and a day of actual work in between.

These dude will build them in their sleep no doubt.

Fuck'n oats!

Manager/designer/sales etc guy who is helping me out was running round sorting out the shop, dealing with customers and phone calls and telling me what to do.

Wanders up. tack that there, and that there, and square it.

He sorted out a cut list for me in about 10mins with a piece of A4 paper, a ruler and a pen after drawing quick design and using the dimensions i wanted.

Reakon building sweet trailers would be chur.

Second morning of work done.

As a bit of a time line

First lot of photos were work done Friday 27 May 730am to 1130am

Included:

Quick design meeting

Cutting

Basic frame tack and weld.

Pissing around

Todays lot Tuesday 31 may 8am to 1130am

More welding

lined up the suspension hangers and all the rest of the cross beams

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Chucked the final rear angle iron on. the channel that is formed is where the lights and plate will be fastened

IMG_0012.jpg

Overshot

IMG_0010.jpg

Then the guards and support bars were added

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Off to our workshop now to pick up the hubs and braking system so i can get it finished tomorrow.

Should be flipped over and prehaps towable tomorrow apparently.

Gotta make tilting drawbar tomorrow.

Seen its such a quick process i might make some flashy shit to trim the guards or something. And paint it to break up the mass of glav that it will be.

Might try find some of those 15x8 falcon steels or run the valiant ones as seen in van thread for more awesome on trailer.