Internal bushing thing - It's out!

vivaspeed

Hi all,

A quick engineering advice question - how the hell do I get this out...

I have got this worked 4AGE that was run on carbs and had a 4K dizzy in it. Previous owner/builder put this steel bushing in the dizzy hole to take the 4K dizzy. Now I'm going back to injection I want it out to fit my dizzy back in. Of course I didn't realise this was there until just as I was swapping over everything from my old engine to this one.

new4agedizzybushing.jpg

It's tight as hell, and I can't get anything in behind it to drive it out. Tried the basics to pull it out but it's not going anywhere in a hurry. There is a slight lip that can be accessed behind it.

Engine is fully assembled / head with cams in it so I'm reluctant to do much that may involve disassembly or drilling and creating too much swarf.

I could probably remove the exhaust cam and get behind it, but really don't want to.

I'm thinking -

1. Internal bearing puller with a slide hammer (which I don't have)

2. Weld someting threaded on it and wind it out but it's an alloy head, not sure about heating and distortion etc.

I think a bearing puller would do the trick, but I don't own one, and good kits cost many hundreds of dollars. Diameter might be a bit big for a puller though.

Any ideas welcome.

That's a tricky one! You'd assume it would be press fit in that situation... So hopefully it will pop out with a small bit of heat and the correct puller. If it was me then a slide hammer would come out with a custom made piece on the end to pop it out.

I made a pretty decent axle puller/slide hammer type arrangement out of a long bolt and a piece of 2'' diameter galv pipe, worked a treat for pulling the output shaft out of the transfer case on my evo...me so maybe you could look something similar mixed with Todd's awesome drawing...

In case you have no imagination of what the piece of 2'' pipe looks like...

DSCF0618.jpg

note output shaft attached hanging off the far end.

You could try weld a piece of chain on to it then attach said chain to something heavy as I would probable be easer than making your own slide hammer. I have seen this technique used with the chain attached to half shafts when a slide hammer is to sissy for the job.

carefully place something to stop shit getting in the motor through the rear of the hole. something metal.

then run a couple of welds around the inside of the bore of the insert.

wait a bit for it to cool and it will (works 90%) slide out by hand. (assuming its only pressed in)

do this^ if have tig, try just running it around without any filler rod. should shrink it out.

alternatively, I saw this and it reminded me of a spigot bush.

A spigot bush puller would be the correct tool:

TRIDEN28.JPG

but I did a quick search and this looks like a pretty good idea and with no heat:

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Spigot_bearing_removal#Dynabolt_Method

(obviously the grease method at the top of the page is no good)

edit: actually looking at your picture, you may not be able to find a dynabolt with a large enough diameter, but I think its a pretty cool idea anyway

Thanks for the tips everyone, it is now out.

Shagged about with a couple of ideas and in the end I welded a piece of flat, with some threaded rod welded on, into the bushing and a bracket on the outside and wound it out. Needed a bit of heat though to make it move...

Very tight so not sure how they got it in originally.