Soichiro C90

kicker

So after seeing all the cool Honda Cubs on here I decided I wanted one.

Picked one up from Palmy a few weeks ago, a '79 90cc 6 volter.

Battery and exhaust were ferked and it had a lot of surface rust from living out by the sea at one point but was otherwise sweet.

picccc%20014a.jpg

picccc%20010a.jpg

I drained the gas and oil, cleaned the carb and topped up with new fluids, it fired up first kick.

I like the look of the rust on the blue paint job so I'll leave it, a new seat, modified rear fender, some paint and rust promotion are all the mods I'm gonna do for now.

Here's a photochop of how it will probably look, indicators and tail light/plate mount will go back on but in slightly different locations.

picy1%20001%20c22222opy%20copy.jpg

Fuck that will be sick if you can get it like that photoshop! Makes me want one badley :L

Hopefully I can, one of the hard parts is painting the plastic sidecovers to look like they are rusty. I had a go today using orange and dull red paint but I think I need some brown. I'll post up some pics of them tomorrow for judgement, it won't be realistic but from a distance I want it to look similar.

I have some seat foam on the way and the picture on the leg shield is a decal I have ordered, the rear shocks are currently rusting away after being dosed with bleach then warm salty water but may still try some peroxide on them as that works well apparently

Here it is with the sidecovers how they are currently painted and seat taken off. I'll get the shocks rusted up first then try and match the paint to them.

picccc%20024a.jpg

I got the seat foam today, should I bother making a fibreglass pan for it or should I glue it straight to the top of the tank?

Good shit dude!!!

Ill post up some more recent pics of my bike after weekends end

Will have exhaust sorted and new bars done

This is waht it looked like over a month ago.

I got a seat now and repsrayed the whole bike a better red

Keep up the hard work dude. Gonna be soo much fun

SDC10667.jpg

Cheers man, seeing yours kickstarted (excuse the pun) me into getting one.

Love the suicide shifter and the mini t-bar handlebars setup you have.

These little bikes can look pretty tough with little effort, mines got a hook behind the legshield which looks perfect for carrying a length of chain for when run-ins with other riders/drivers occur

I cut the rear fender off today and removed the light/plate mount from it for possible reuse

picccc%20037a.jpg

picccc%20040a.jpg

I tried a new method for rust, this is after 5 mins! Peroxide and salt FTW

Definitely need some brown paint on the covers, the rust is still wet so will get lighter as it dries too.

picccc%20029a.jpg

Tail lights are a pain in the arse and ruin nice lines but if I trim up the plate mount area and mount it like this then it might be okay.

picccc%20034a.jpg

Cheers dude! I got inspired off someone else posting a pic of a chopped up c50!

Yeh lose the taillight and mount your plate off one of the shock mounts and check out some old wreckers for smaller tallights.

Ill post some pics up later today of my bike as its nearing completion

just seen this tread now,

Gona look like im coping the crap outter ur shit, but been building this for a couple of weeks

just so happen to be along the same lines,

stole most of my design off the baby blue one, guy riding it with a orange helmet, im sure u know the one

anyways heres where im at, just got it rideable yesturday

SDC12177.jpg

didnt like the huge gap betweenthe wheel and fender

so lowered it on C50 shocks

SDC12187.jpg

and chopped the bars sum wat

SDC12184.jpg

chur chur

keep up the sweet build

just seen this tread now,

That looks wicked, I see you are going for the foam pad seat too, I just made a fibreglass pan today to stick some 20mm closed cell foam to.

I was just going to stick it straight on to the tank but have never used glass before so thought I'd give it a go :)

It'll use the original seat hinge and flip up to access the fuel cap

picccc%20063a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished off my seat now, I ended up covering it in vinyl. It was a bit of a pain as I had to use glue to secure the vinyl but managed to get it to an acceptable level.

picccc%252520079a.jpg

picccc%252520098a.jpg

I also replaced the rear brake lever, removed the centre-stand and bodged up the exhaust a bit better