The offroad thread!

DodgySam

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah mogs are pretty pooz offroad usually. same with those 6x6 deuce things in the states. i think it's because people run tyres on them that're meant to carry a shitload of weight. don't get a good footprint thus get stuck quick as shit. pre acutally meddling with airing down my tyres offroad i thought it would'nt make as much of a difference as it does.

I know 4x4 punters are religous about diff locks and winches. The size of your manhood being proportional to the size of your tyres and your lift kit.

But this is even funnier considering the context. The Hummer in the Dakar is 2wd and Rear engined like an old VW Beetle. The 4wd cars in the Dakar are not allowed tyre adjustment from in the car. The 2wd cars are. The 4wd can get out and do it themselves.

The reason this man is pissed off is that the 4wd BMW Minis complained that as the air coming from the in car tyre deflation/inflation was going into the manifold after the air restrictor that he was getting a perfomance advantage. This got him disqualified from stage 9.

They allowed him back after he plugged the hole in the manifold and vented the pipe into the engine bay. He then beat the 4WD Minis by 20 minutes in the next stage.

pVFdgttin6E

how rubbish do lift kits make 4wds when it comes to towing stuffs? do they wallow around?

thinking 80 series landcruiser if that matters

depends on the kit and the vehicle. if you keep swaybars attached and aren't going silly high I wouldn't think it would be a big deal in an 80 series. take of swaybars/make disconnects for offroadtime.

RB30 in any patrol would be puss as shit unless it had the crap supercharged out of it. pratols are really heavy.

biggest problem will be if you raise the 4wd up, your tow ball goes with it so the arse of your trailer will drag pretty damn close to the ground, Just keep it in mind

how rubbish do lift kits make 4wds when it comes to towing stuffs? do they wallow around?

thinking 80 series landcruiser if that matters

depends on the kit and the vehicle. if you keep swaybars attached and aren't going silly high I wouldn't think it would be a big deal in an 80 series. take of swaybars/make disconnects for offroadtime.

RB30 in any patrol would be puss as shit unless it had the crap supercharged out of it. pratols are really heavy.

biggest problem will be if you raise the 4wd up, your tow ball goes with it so the arse of your trailer will drag pretty damn close to the ground, Just keep it in mind

yea would probably run an adjustable/custom removable one. Trojan make some to suit this kind of problem

Unimogs abysmal? what are you guys smoking?

they aren't fast but they have massive ground clearance under axles due to huge tyres and portals plus difflocks and winches. so while they might not get there first they will get wherever eventually. and can carry and heap of stuff to where ever that is.

that said alot of tracks here are too narrow and tight for that size vehicle really - they would end up bush bashing the whole way.

I see what your saying sisu - that huge tyres and winches and difflocks aren't the be all and end all, I know a decent vw buggy would shame most normal 4x4s offroad in alot of situations but it's all horses for courses really. I mean most baja trucks, jeepspeed etc. are 2wd. less weight, less stuff to break and I guess not that much advantage at speed.

awww jeah.

sup? fixed my winch last night - I had tested at a mates farm after xmas and found china noodles brand had used an electrical connector for the cable to drum connection, which sheared off when we really loaded it up winching soem felled trees around. just need to put some aluminin panels to protect the wiring inside the front guards and then maybe go out on saturday and get muddy.

yuhyuh. i just really cbf doing this. lowl. I should spend some time and pop the bumper off my pos and see how I can make a simply simple cradle for it.

it would be a nice, reasonably simple mod though, really. supercheap ones do alrigth or what they are. also can always get runva/tigerz11 from jokers that've backed out of projects on the tard for cheaps.

yea would definately run highway tires for normal road use. not so bad on the wallet either having to buy new mud tires all the time.

just wondering if I should look at buying a 80 series atm

Partners got an 80series, has 35 creepies and they are not ideal to run on the road, they will lane hop on the motorway by a good Metre or more if you dont have a vice grip going on the steering wheel, He put on mudstars of all things on his other rims, last set lasted him 8yrs with a bit of off roading. and they don't walk on the road

also one thing to look out for in an 80 is crazy cracking under the steering box, every 80 does it, if it hasn't been fixed it will be coming your way at some point, just lots of little hair line cracks hiding away under the steering box and they have a massive flaw with their handbrakes, the cables stretch all the time, our handbrake is a block of wood :lol:

and get one with the triple diff lock in them :twisted: they are awesome but sadly cost more and you can also just put a spring lift in them and fit 35s on them piece of piss