Radiator on an angle

coldturkey

Ok, I was going to post a pic but I am a useless barstool and forgot to take one.

I "upgraded" my standard radiator to a modern radiator out of a different car (like a corolla or something).

This radiator is about 3 times as large as the standard one. Car used to overheat a bit when stopped at lights and going up steep hills and stuff. Now its sweet, has an electric fan and stuff on it too.

radiator.jpg

The only way it fits in nicely is on an angle, probably about 15 to 20 degrees from vertical. I know some race setups use an angled radiator, but they are designed so the fins are still horizontal I think.

Would having a standard radiator on an angle be affecting the circulation of the water, or the efficiency of the radiator? The fact that the fins arent horizontal means there would probably be a bit more drag on the front of the car but is it enough to worry about. What are your thoughts

Also forgot to mention, when the car is warmed up and I look in the engine bay, the bottom radiator hose is cold and the top hose is hot. There only seems to be heat coming off the top half of the radiator. Its a new water pump, but I still think it has pretty shitty flow.

The angle will be fine mate. Cars go up hills and around corners at speed so nothing is ever static or plumb for long in a moving vehicle

WRT your hot and cold hoses: The forced water flow in your engine compliments the laws of physics (heat rises). The pump will take warm coolant out of the bottom of your radiator and force it into the bottom of your engine. The coolant then passes upwards through the engine block and head , getting hotter all the time. The hot coolant leaves the engine via. the top radiator hose, but normally goes through a thermostat about now. It then ends up in the top of the radiator and the cycle continues.

A thermostat reduces the amount of coolant that can get out of your engine, until the trapped coolant is warm enough to be considered worthy. Thermostats are good, and also help regulate the velocity of coolant flow (coolant needs to hang around inside the engine for a while in order to rob head from the parent metal). Never run without a thermostat (unless you are using a dedicated EWP)

have a look at late model rx7s mate, they lean over too...

as said above, aslong as the filler is the highest point or a seperate header tank fitted..

i think the weight of the g zeros will labour the engine quite abit ae...lol

good pics by the way man...

well the purpose of a radiator is to cool the water, so the inlet will be hot, outlet will be cold etc....

Cool, I know the laws of physics support this, but modern cars seem to have a pretty similar temperature top and bottom, I guess this is because they 'flow' more water. So I suppose there is no room for concern anyway cheers.

as long as the filler is still the highest point in the cooling system.

Hmm, this is a good point, I didnt actually think about this, I think at best is is on the same level as the top of the thermostat and most likely a bit lower. 1256cc's seem to have a gay thermostat housing that basically exits upward on an angle. I suppose this is to aid the flow of the hot water upward? How concerned should I be about this, if the car isn't overheating?

i think the weight of the g zeros will labour the engine quite abit ae...lol

good pics by the way man...

the G-Zero's will effect the radiators efficiency greatly

Dont worry, I am upgrading to Vault's a.s.a.p :lol:

The angle will be fine mate. Cars go up hills and around corners at speed so nothing is ever static or plumb for long in a moving vehicle

WRT your hot and cold hoses: The forced water flow in your engine compliments the laws of physics (heat rises). The pump will take warm coolant out of the bottom of your radiator and force it into the bottom of your engine. The coolant then passes upwards through the engine block and head , getting hotter all the time. The hot coolant leaves the engine via. the top radiator hose, but normally goes through a thermostat about now. It then ends up in the top of the radiator and the cycle continues.

A thermostat reduces the amount of coolant that can get out of your engine, until the trapped coolant is warm enough to be considered worthy. Thermostats are good, and also help regulate the velocity of coolant flow (coolant needs to hang around inside the engine for a while in order to rob head from the parent metal). Never run without a thermostat (unless you are using a dedicated EWP)

Yeah this all makes sense. I've always wondered about running no thermostat, and having like some thermal controlled fans or something. If it was an electric motor, I guess you would want it to run as cold as possible all the time. But with a combustion engine - they are designed to run at a 'hottish' temperature.

The hot coolant leaves the engine via. the top radiator hose, but normally goes through a thermostat about now

Unless you own a Subaru (in which case the thermostat is on the bottom hose before the waterpump).

But seriously - no need to panic unless things are getting hot or your getting nasty airlocks. Will be mounting the hatches radiator on a gangster lean so i can fit a big one in.

Seems to be behaving at the moment. I changed the thermostat recently though and I think its opening a bit late? Like it must have a higher temperature threshold then the original.

Is it possible to buy a thermostat with a slightly lower threshold?

(before it would sit with the needle straight upward, now it is about 65% to 70%

Gaps around the radiator wont make any difference in stop go traffic though!

But definitely worthwhile otherwise.

I'm running a half sized radiator, have made a blanking plate so that the only way air can get into the engine bay is through the radiator or engine intake. Gonna make up an underbody tray for the front part of the engine bay too.