DRTDVL's 1988 Peugeot 205 GTI

drtdvl

Very productive day.

1) original gray bonnet back on so the black auto bonnet can get repainted and a couple dents taken out.

2) the seam welded subframe went in with no troubles - should be interesting to see what effect it has

3) 25mm rear arb fitted after a trip to jays and mitre 10 to get a grinder and grinding discs. The end plate had a massive weld bead which was rubbing on the tyre - to took a bunch of that off. It seams that bar is a little longer than the 24mm bar we made.

So yea tomorrow will give it a wash! And clean and fix the loose dash and remove the Herbert engineering stickers finally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic day!

Took 2.5 seconds out of my practice run!

Almost introduced the front of the car to the concrete barrier at the entrance to turn 1 (outside) - nothing like rear brakes locking up when your braking from 170+...

Managed a best lap of 1:21.1 in the second timed run.

Massive issues with brake temps, boiled brand new rbf600 after the first timed run. Also getting fuel surge issues, so yeah more things to sort!

• 2 months later...

Drilled the new mounting holes for the sump guard thanks to my friend Rob and allowing me to use the hoist at his workshop, as i couldn't get enough room under the car for the drill.

Lowered the rear ride height a bit as at hamptons it was picking up the inside rear on every corner, i'm hoping it will lower the roll center / rear cog / not sure what i'm trying to say, and make it a bit more level in the rear mid-corner.

Have the last race of the season this sunday, at Sainsbury Road - it's a fun little hillclimb... Hopefully should take out the series championship and class titles...

Ok I feel like a retard now... I forgot to mention Steve is also a legend for lending me his drill and drill bits... I had full intention to mention his epicness for the lending of the drill and drill bits as there was no way I could have done it with them...

I'm serious... Sorry Steve... Your a legend!

I did also manage to take the wrong arb to the work shop so ill leave the stiffer bar in there...

• 1 month later...

Nothing too much happening with the 205 as its broken a wheel bearing and I'm broke...

But a new project will start soon as I was just given a set of 45mm 4age throttle bodies for free!!! Whoop whoop so time to start looking at the itb setup then!

• 7 months later...

The rivets let go on the door in the red circle:

IMG_0038_zps87f2e30e.jpg

This let the oil move away from the pickup during that sweeper... I'll need to do a lot better with it next time. 

From the iphone accelerometer thingy it was saying i was pulling 1.2 - 1.3g's through that corner, so the forces should only increase as i get the suspension sorted and new tyres... 

Actually....

Been thinking in my head about everything...

Been told roughly 2.5k to repair this engine or Pete's offered me one for $900... but i've got a lacrosse world cup trip next year that i'm trying to save for so i've basically made up my mind that unless a short block becomes available for like $400 i'm going to hold off...

The current thinking is looking at a 206 gti or 206 gti 180 EW series engine, throwing a link at it and quad throttles... shouldn't have much change from 8k but a decent rebuild of the Mi16 will be 4-5k and it's an old engine with known oil problems. The EW series is MILES better for oil control and the 180 with a better filter setup and a chip has been consistant at 200hp at the fly... which is a big step up from the 155 the Mi is rated for. The EW are also a full alloy block / head setup also.

• Like 1