Testaments heap of jeep '95 XJ cherokee

Testament

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A+, so choice, have you given it a bash on the mud?

What are the legalities around removing front bumper and installing winch? (for on road use I mean - see a lot of the SWB patrol's with no front bumper and just epic pedestrian directional (directing pedestrians under the truck) bars and a winch)

nah haven't got to taking it in the mud with the big tyres yet and my flattie is still in new plymouth (who I usually go quagging with/going on your own is a bit mung) he was here the long weekend but we just ran out of time. also warrant ran out today = FUUUU need to get some new road tyres for that.

Legalities, not 1000% sure, but I think as long as you get a file/grinder and round the egdes its fine to have a girder bolted to the front - not practically any different to the factory landcruiser winch bumpers that stick out a million miles and break pedestrians in two. ill probably try to mount the winch high and recessed into the grille to maximise approach angle. anyways so wont stick out much.

• 4 months later...

shifted junk from left to right in my garage so i could do some work on something while the rain was pouring down last weekend. 131 is still full of boxes of crap as i havent sorted new storage and benches etc. yet so instead i pulled the carpet out of this and por15's most of it. not that it was rusty but i had some already open that would probably only have gone off soon anyway.

5843644267_73a1784c26_b.jpg

5843644919_f3192887c4_b.jpg

• 4 months later...

yeah I have something on the shelf in that regard, actually have quite alot of things on my various shelves, under beds and in carboard boxes around the place :lol:

Before I take it out theres still a few things I want/need to do - wire the winch up and make some protection for wires and things under the guards since I took all the plastic liners out to fit the silverstones, cut up the grille to fit around the winch, fit another trans cooler/make the factory one not hidden behind the winch and put a rear tow hook on the towbar somewhere.

After that go and use it, will be thinking about building some rock rails/sill protection too but thats not critical. Then maybe think about diffs/axles and turbos

• 1 month later...

fitted additional (it now has 3!) trans oil cooler also last weekend. just need to chop up grille to fit back in. but then found my drivers side front axle seal is pooed so waiting on new axle seals from states. seal costs $2 shipping costs $2345325 lol. still cheaper/easier than getting locally though. I amazes me how many of these are on the road (quite a large number) and how little support there is for parts here.

6524176063_8a80c122d1_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went and did some mudskids yesterday. didn't even break anything really. well busted wings mirrors a bit, a bumper end cap and dinged exhaust, but that kinda of stuff hardly counts!

Got just a little crossed up near the start.....yeah difflocks would be really nice please! need to lengthen my bumpstops/bash another 7 hells out of my guards for more clearance too

6735381741_dd789cd933_b.jpg

6735383119_7b01e7ac71_b.jpg

6735384911_a2e4f9d137_b.jpg

6735385725_8e1e53487d_b.jpg

6735386637_dd1dfdd762_b.jpg

6735387361_54c0fdfb56_b.jpg

Just a little stuck in this bog.

6735388127_9dd137c58f_b.jpg

6735388833_0cb1cc2fdf_b.jpg

6735391807_6f52c8e56c_b.jpg

And made it home again

6738138887_b2c62f6be4_b.jpg

6738143257_4162fb242a_b.jpg

0r7lU1Oh7Uc

Notkpo9nqYY

vDg5z-xaotQ

TMROZUjAlsk

__WQUHURiJY

• 8 months later...

have been dailying the jeep for quite a while now and the handling which started at terrible has been getting worse and worse and worse. probably esp after the last couple of 4x4 outings and rolling around on a dodgy wheelbearing for a while which also stuffed some balljoints (had to fix those for the last wof a few months ago)

anyway after having to drive up and down to auckland a few times in the last month I finally decided fuck not only is this gay to drive it is dangerous and actually going to kill me by changing lanes of it's own accord/into an oncoming accord. So splashed out and bought new bilstien 5100 shocks from the US (pretty much the same price as buying poo brand ones here) and some new heavy dooty lower control arms.

IMG956.jpg

So installed all that and fixed the loose track bar (which was not helping at all) last night - just took it for first drive now and OMG why doesn't every car some with bilstiens! I think nearly handles better than the 124 which I just got a warrant for today! I am just flabbergasted how many million times better it is to drive. This excited me so much I decided to make this post!

So lesson for all

BUY BILSTIENS - THEY REALLY ARE THAT GOOD - THEY CAN EVEN MAKE A JEEP HANDLE SEMI NICE