Nicks 1200 sedan

CUL8R

I sort of came to that conclusion too before I even did the CFD stuff, Was pretty much just fucking around with it to avoid work!

Was going to go for as big a plenum I could fit, which dont think will be huge due to space.

I CFD'd the dual plenum more out of curiosity as to whether it was worth it, but bit hard to get any meaningful results with the CFD I used.

^was just Floworks (may have name wrong) it came integrated with solidworks 2010, nothing flash. Basically demo mode, need to spend more money to get anything useful really.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have missed it in the write up some where, Is ths going to be a full blown racecar or a sweet as road car with occasional track use.

I vote latter :mrgreen:

Loving the fab work. Awesome inspiration.

Wish i was closer so i could come be nosey.

Started road car with occassional track use turned into Full race car. Has reg on hold so it would only be a cert and authority card away from street legal though.

Thanks, loving the fab work at the moment (up till the arc eye) its all cool stuff at the tail end of the fab work so its been pretty easy to stay motivated. Its pretty sweet looking at it all caged out, thinking shit yeah, I might actually get to drive this thing again!!

Choice! Can't wait to see this thing in action... What's left on the list?

And the Aisin AZ6 thing is interesting eh? The S2000, Altezza, RX8 and S15 boxes are all made under that code but they're definitely not the same.

LEft on list.... Still quite a bit.

Mount pedal box and plumb everything

Sort Gearbox then mount sr20ve and new box - FWD VE had Different mounts to RWD SR20DE

Get Fuel Cell Mount/plumb

Get wheels/semi slicks Mount flares to suit wheels.

Get link ECU Gauges etc and Wire

Rebuild Diff with My LSD - Mount Rear Brakes.

Mount plumb Hyd handbrake.

Lexan windows

Air filter/plenum

Exhaust inc Manifold

Paint

Probably MIRRIONS of little jobs I have missed

as you can see there is a few expensive items left on the list. Aiming for 6 months time but it will just come down to money really.

Yeah a bit slutted really. $600 vs $1200 for a ALtezza vs S15. Would have been nice to run that. Hope I dont blow one up.

Not sure what the best route for close ratio goodness is. Dont really need a 6 speed as the 1st gear would be useless on the s15/altezza boxes with the final drive Im running anyway but there isnt really a lot of options for strong 5 speeds with easily available (prefereably cheap) close ratio kits for it

hey nick, love the build. been a long time in the coming but looks really good as to how its coming together! car is looking good. have you got an ETA on when you think you'll be finished or is it quite flexible?

as for your question i would suggest putting the 2 bars through to the strut tower. you will be glad it you are ever in a big crash (i.e. more chance of you being ok/not having feet crushed and more chance of car surviving and not being warped between strut towers and firewall) its ALL about triangles. cage turned out really nice though i like the simplicity of it yet still looks strong.

pic of underside of 4link would be sweet. it turned out nioce giving me a few ideas now. i would think that it would be best to tie the 4link mounts to the bottom lateral bar on the cage. might not make much difference but after seeing truenotch's 4link mounts crack and move after ~15yrs of being a racecar it is def something i would do on my car. always best to do these kind of things at the early stage than going through the hassle of modifying later and dealing with re-homologation difficulties.

Cool thanks, I tried to make it as simple and strong as possible, Thinking I will go to Two bars, would probably bother me if I didnt. Will get some pics of the underside of the four link as soon as I get a chance. Hoping to chuck it up on the rotisserie to strengthen the four link mounting and seam weld the body. Want to add some gussets to the link brackets and tie the four link brackets to that lateral bar. Was a little bit of an after thought so just thinking of a good way to do it really. But yeah agree definitely want to make those brackets as strong as possible.

Things I would do different on 4 link

Make the body brackets 75-80mm wide. I made them 50mm which meant the boxes were a bit borderline for link bar clearance, going by how well you can cut and how short your panhard bar is. So the boxes ended up 80mm to give me more bar room and the brackets are only 50mm. Thats part of the reason I made the boxes 'T' shaped. Also means I can adjust the top and bottom bolts from underneath the car without help from a second person. Wasnt really an issue on mine as its a four door and probably could just reach through the back door if the bolt had to be adjusted from inside like a typical setup but it made it tidier because of the 50 to 80mm box to braacket difference.

Mount the coil overs on the top or front of the diff. This would have meant I could have mounted the cage to the rear strut towers. Because I mounted it to the back of the diff I couldnt because the cage isnt allowed to go past rear axle line. Fuck up on my part. Should have read the book better!

• 2 months later...
^^ What he said!

Get it finished and move to the north island please!

Actually used to live in Palmerston north till about 14, didnt get into motorsport till a couple of years later, have never even been out to manfeild :shock:

This thing is one of my favourite projects on OS

This, times a million.

It can be pretty easy to miss something awesome in the project cars forum, (Especially if you're a one eyed Toyota fanboy) But I'm glad I clicked on this one!

Look forward to more updates about how this progresses.

Room on my floor and space for a trailer in the driveway when you decide to give it a go ;) .

Well better get off my ass and finish it then!

Roman> *hopefully* updates should progress nicely, I have very nearly run out of things to weld so after that its really just plumbing/wiring/painting and spending money!

This thing is one of my favourite projects on OS

This, times a million.

It can be pretty easy to miss something awesome in the project cars forum, (Especially if you're a one eyed Toyota fanboy) But I'm glad I clicked on this one!

Look forward to more updates about how this progresses.

+1. nice work man