someone tell me about superchargers.

DodgySam

I want to supercharge my ute just to be different.

Has 3.2L diesel engine and no power...yeah I could turbo it but everyones done that.

What size charger should I get etc etc etc.

would an sc12 work or would an sc14 be better...I know not how to decide blah blah blah.

and go.

Something about the idea does not sit right with me.. not sure what but it sounds like a there will be a problem..

Keep in mind that a diesel sucks as much air in at 2000rpm with light throttle as it does at 2000rpm with WOT..

ie - they are revved up by adding more fuel not allowing in more air... (no throttle butterfly)

Yea its been done before KK but you need to add a throttle body before the supercharger and rig it up to the throttle. It will take a shitload of work to get it to idle etc correctly, I know there is a m90 kit here in aussie for diesel 100 series land cruisers which are popular here. Took a shit load of work to get it refined enough to sell to people, turbo is allot simpler

Oh yuh - still struggling with the physics of it all but believe you now you say it is possible..

For some reason I can't fathom right now a S/C only makes sense on a 2-stroke diesel.. will need to do a think/mind sketch when my mind is not thinking about bar graphs and staffing levels..

The whole issue with turbochargers is the transient throttle response on account of having to spool up the turbo, every time you put your foot on the gas again. Which is where a supercharger really shines.

Which is irrelevant on a diesel, where it's blowing the full amount of exhaust gas out al of the time, as there obviously isnt even a throttle body.

So the primary advantage that a supercharger has, is completely invalidated on a diesel... You're just lumped with the downsides, like higher pumping losses and less power for more work by the engine.

It'll be different, but sometimes there's a reason for that :monkey:

^ Diesels still suffer from turbo lag as there is bugger all energy in the exhaust gases with low fuel/rpm, so a supercharger still has its merits, the m90 fitted to the 100 series cruisers gives them epic stump pulling torque right off the bottom. Im yet to experience any turbo diesel in the same class that has bottom end punch like that. Variable vane turbos etc have lessened the lag on turbo diesels but some manufacturers still get it wrong and their diesels have horrible power bands.

The cunty thing here is getting the throttle body on there and making it behave right, because without one it will run like a sack of shit.

excellent...you have all answered every one of my questions!

So i am now gonna keep my eyes open for a manifold and turbo off a terrano qd32et.

Sweet and thank you for all your help.

See I never knew that a diesel sucks as much air at low revs as it does at high.

I see there is many more things I need to learn.

theres a v6 twin charged fire pump motor at work,

blower and turbo sequentially,

don't see the need for a throttle body tuning would be down to the injector pump,

more throttle = more fuel = more revs = more boost,

mind you i'm thinking big shit that ran rich at idle and leaned out towards the optimum revs

and would live there all day.

we had a boost gauge on a mates truck it was pulling 22psi boost at optimum revs,

but talk to kpr he knows his shit

I knew a guy that had a horse float that struggled to climb hills, they put a LPG bottle in the passengers seat, with ball valve and a fine adjustment valve, plumbed into the intake, and on hills he would crank the ball valve open at full throttle, and it would hold another gear up hills than without.

I knew a guy that had a horse float that struggled to climb hills, they put a LPG bottle in the passengers seat, with ball valve and a fine adjustment valve, plumbed into the intake, and on hills he would crank the ball valve open at full throttle, and it would hold another gear up hills than without.

Did that with work wagon 1C diesel corolla.

Works well but gets expensive.