takes a while to start after sitting?

Beaver

hey all,

Where should I start looking to find why my car takes a while (turning over for 10-20secs) before it fires after its been sitting overnight? Once it fires once then it runs perfectly fine. It turns over fairly quickly as well. I initially thoguht fuel running back in the system, but the filter remains full. Im unfamilier with stromberg carbs (150) so dont really know what to look for to check fuel levels in the carb or whatever. Its running an electric fuel pump, and so i thought if I let that tick over for a bit and then try start it would make sure there was fuel getting to the carb, but it almost seems to make it worse?

Any ideas?

Cheers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried that once but it didnt work. I actually keep forgetting about the choke cause the cortina never had one haha

It doesnt seem to be a cold engine issue, as once it fires, I can turn the key off straight away, and then 9/10 time sit will start again first pop

pumping gas wont do anything on these. they're an su style carb so no 'poositive' accelerator pump

choke right the way out (if it's on twins then make sure they're both actuating) and start it with zero throttle.

that's how I used to roll s.u powered stz. there's a different technique again if your choke isn't hooked up.

been some harsh frost in chch :lol:

been a bitch in the mornings trying to fire up the Kents,

strangely my 1300 single carb has a harder time to start than the 1600 with twin weber carbs etc :doubt: ive found the few times ive tried a cheeky squirt of crc down throat has helped straight away, any adverse harm this could do down road?

don't use engine start shit. it's gay.

all kent carb stz will have accelerator pumps. choke right out, two pumps on throttle and start with foot off throttle. mean.

cold starts rule my face. my bx is a piece of crap to get going, esp with the autochoke disabled as it doesn't turn itself off completely. still get it running within 5 seconds of cranking.

my crown has been 3 years without a choke. starts first pop after two kicks of fuel before cranking.

the ID is a choke out mobile. starts every time within about a second of cranking on the key. on the crank handle it always starts within half a revolution. I guess that's down to the starter not robbing the coil of juice or something.

If you want the fluid level done in the carb bring it in, makes a world of difference to them!

What do you put in yours? I just used the thinnest oil/fluid I had at the time. :?

lol yeh i probably should have mentioned that......

I think Cam was refering to the guy above with a kent. Maybe. Perhaps.

How did you get on this morning will millions of choke? If it didn't help, make sure its connect and functioning. Sounds obvious, but you know..