Redrilling Disc Brakes

BS5620

yeah you need to get them done by someone's who's certified.

for example: pete's customs in chch told me they weren't certified to do it, but they gave me the name of another outfit in town who can (royce clive).

if its done by a pro the lvvta don't complain :)

yeah you need to get them done by someone's who's certified.

for example: pete's customs in chch told me they weren't certified to do it, but they gave me the name of another outfit in town who can (royce clive).

if its done by a pro the lvvta don't complain :)

A qualified fitter/turner e.g. NZCE or similar. Or just some old dude who actually knows what he is doing. But I would also have a very good search first to see if you can get suitable discs from something else with the right diameter/thickness/offset/PCD before getting some drilled.

are we talking just the rotors themselves ? or actually changing the pattern on the hub? if its just the rotors, doesn't really matter if the holes aren't perfect. as the rotor should locate on the hub with the center hole, not the wheel studs

are we talking just the rotors themselves ? or actually changing the pattern on the hub? if its just the rotors, doesn't really matter if the holes aren't perfect. as the rotor should locate on the hub with the center hole, not the wheel stud

Yeah but i would want them as close as possible just to have it that extra little bit better

But I would also have a very good search first to see if you can get suitable discs from something else with the right diameter/thickness/offset/PCD before getting some drilled.

have search around and found these. Seem to be the best so far with all measurements etc. Hahaha its a bit of a bastardisation though, cortina diff, mitsi callipers, honda rotors

a engineer with a deasent mill will beable to get them 100% spot on for you

and it wont cost *that* much to do , its like an hour work for him for 4 etc .

better then trying to fuck around and do them yourself find you need to slot them and have rotors that maywant to cut the studs off under sudden heavy braking etc

It is very easy to divide a circumference into four equal parts, all you need to do is make a piece up that goes in the middle of the rotor to sit your dividers on.

then you can mark out diameter of 108 and divide into four in a different position on the rotor.

and as far as drilling the disk itself for venting, these also must be uniform to eliminate risk of rotor being out of balance.

The way an 'engineer' would do it would be to put it in a static chuck on a mill bed, clock up the outside dia and the inside spigot hole so you have it central to within 0.01mm then to plot the points out in x/y co-ordinates using the readout then drill your holes.

No need to use dividers, centre punches, marking blue or any of that old school junk. This is the future man!

It really shouldnt take more then an hour, and ud have to be pretty bad at it to get it out by more then 0.1mm (which is proberly a better tolerance then they were made within factory).

The more i work on car stuff the more i realise how laxed there tolerances are compared fitting, turning, tool making.

What are you trying to do exactly? Change the bolt pattern on the hub so that it will bolt to a differant disc? If so then you should know that the bolt pattern to mount the disc to the hub is not 4x108. Closer to 4x100.

If you are changing the stud pattern on the hub from 4x108 to 4x114.3 then this is a differant story and something which I have had done. Good idea! What Honda discs you thinking of using.. I scoured the WHOLE DBA collection of rotors and I can tell you now that no Honda disc that DBA makes will work easily.

Gaz

Sorry my 1st post didnt make it clear now that I have read it again. I wanted to change the holes on the rotors from 4x114 to 4x108. so that the rotors will fit onto my cortina diff.

The diff was set up using mitsi galant rotors and calipers but the guy was using machined spacers/adaptors to centerise the disc, he had also roughly slotted the holes so it would fit and it looked terrible!!!. I run original stud pattern 4x108 so need new rotors. Honda accord rotors measured up basically the same as the mitsi ones but had a much smaller centre hole that will fit the cortina hub way nicer!!

Hope that explains it better

I took them out to Dwight (chevronracer) in the weekend and he did a sweet job, so much easier when you have the right gears and not just a tape measure and drill :lol: