xsspeed's Corollas: EE80->Beams3s & NZGT Liftback

xsspeed

Wicked, that explains why the boxes have three reservoirs lol.

I had hoped to keep the plastic inners to keep the inside of the guards clean-ish but yeah if they are going to be a cunt (and with my wheel/tyre combo I think they will) I'll just pull them out.

Going to try and use the king springs that are on the struts I have to start with - from memory it sat an fxgt awfully low which is good, but will be shit if they wallow about.

If my memory serves me correct, going low on these induces cases of bump steer?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump steer is a do it and see what happens kind of thing. Its not that simple to get RCA's on these things, well it is but nothing is off the self.

Those inner guards will have to go with pretty much anything but the mildest of lowering, especially with wider tyres. BIN THEM

Cheers, yeah I have seen what guys like Barry Manon and Grant Te Reto(sp?) have come up with, plus adding/subtracting castor and camber.

I won't be bothering going down that road with this car, will do on the blue one though.

Might put throw the whiteline rear antiroll bar in this one while I am playing with suspension this weekend - have you had a play with those at all Spencer/I forget how far you got with the fxgt you had.

Didn't get far at all it was to sweet as a road car to fuck it, just collected parts. I think roll-bars are something you really need to play with on the track! what feels nicer or "flatter" on the road could be shit on the limits when tested properly. So chucking it in wont hurt but take both to the track and test it out! you will have heaps of spare time at the OS nats trackday. Os trackdays rule for tinkering you have so much time and no pressure of getting out in your "group" sessions. I assume you will be bashing this at the track?

yeah no idea what stiffness these kings would be - guess I could try find out

May possibly be able to find out from codes on them if they exist, otherwise Romans cut springs for coilovers thread/google has a calculator for working it out approximately. From what I'm finding, ratio between front and back is as important as finding out the spring rate, if that makes any sense. Beefy sway bars shouldn't cause too much issues, and I'm a fan of the rates being firmer in the rear for turn in/oversteer, but in a light car this could be deadly :lol: Fun to play around with anyway.

So you'll probably want to firm the front up a bit to counter that then. I think if you're already getting sweet lift off oversteer and weight transfer under braking, adding more firmness (beefy sway bar or stiffer springs) to the rear isn't a good idea.

I'm just used to heavier FWD's I guess, that naturally understeer a little bit, so chucking a bit of firmness in the rear seems to correct this a bit.

I hear what you are saying, to be fair it was rolling all over the show, the fact that it was closing up ~4-5 inches of rear guard gap to rub the tyres on the guard lips initially proved this, and the rolly polly nature of it was a bit of a pain to drive/still is.

I'm not expecting to mirraculously get the right combo, but hopefully whatever I do is an improvement. Will have a play with it in the leadup to trackday (at least this time barring some misfortune I have time on my side)

Yep, mentioned above after Spence's post, I spoke to him about it when he was getting them fabbed but haven't seen them on car. My understanding was he'd more or less done the same thing as Bazda.

Like I said above, not going to worry about doing that on this GT. I'll go down that route on the other car, and will look at doing similar camber and castor adjustments to Grant to support the "rca's"

Edit: I lie, I did see them in his build thread