Were to start: Putting EFI in a non EFI car

David

Been searching the net for information on retro fitting EFI to an old carby motor. Is it worth wile ratting all the gear out of a late model car and crossing my fingers it all goes well. Or is there some good web content on after market ECU's and looms ect.

Keen to give it a go, would something suit a 1725cc would probley go for 4x throttel bodys but have noticed most EFI systems have air flow meters.I admit it would be probley easyer to drop a new power plant in what's the challenge in that.

yes is a alloy head hillman motor. Have made up all sorts of carb mani's in the past and currently running 2xDHLA40 dellorto's. So looking at setting up four throttle bodys with a independent injector on the vacuum side of each butterfly, angled towards the intake valve. I guess all the basics like crank angle, MAP, throttle, knock, O2 sensors would be required with all the electrics. And of course an upgraided fuel system.

Really does any one know of a good dona car to get all the sensors and fuel system. also a good adaptable ECU. I'm considering after market if nessasary?

Easier solution would be 4 X bike carbs

Yea I've tryed all sorts of carb setups on these motors in the past and they all work a lot better than the origonal setup by miles. Just wont to have a go at EFI, been playing with these motors for 14years now so need to try something new.

Only way is aftermarket, it may run on some other engines comp but its a waste of time VE tables will be way off. I guess a link is the most trodden route, if going new the new link gear is software switchable to your sensors you choose. Older ones need to be sent away to change sensor configs

um well go get yourself a set of 20v 4age throttle bodies, that's the tps sensor. Almost any map sensor does the trick, biggest decision would be what crank angle sender to run. Any of these come with electronic ignition? probably did but its crap and English :D Anyway you only need a accurate crank angle reading if you want to do spark control. Fuel only batch injection can be done just with an rpm from the coil negative. If you want to do wasted spark or something there's ford VR sensors that can be easily adapted to a crank pulley. Things like water and air temperature senders are trivial, If the ECU is decent you should be able to run anything

Maybe try megasquirt, or at least read the mega manual it has a very comprehensive introduction to efi

http://www.megamanual.com/mtabcon.htm

nope its fully DIY, There may be guys that solder them up over here but waste of time. If your keen to jump in the deep end order one of the kits, I would reccomend glenns garrage does full kits that are sweet. You'll learn heaps just leave the stock points or whatever in and road tune it up fuel only

nope its fully DIY, There may be guys that solder them up over here but waste of time. If your keen to jump in the deep end order one of the kits, I would reccomend glenns garrage does full kits that are sweet. You'll learn heaps just leave the stock points or whatever in and road tune it up fuel only

good idea. Will go for it and order a kit after I've done a bit of reserch what I need. Have scratch wired kit cars before should be no problem being a registered sparky helps too.

Sounds like the price of a Gen-2 could drop off when the Gen-3 comes out. So good Idea I will read the manual and sort out all my sensors and install them, by that stage the new Generation might be out, I hope. And use whatever is the most suited.

Question: What are the drawbacks of not running a MAP or air flow sensor?

After I’ve learnt what I’m doing with EFI and get a system going, I’m looking at going the next step and running a system that constantly has atmospheric pressure behind the inlet valve with no throttle body or any regulation controlling air flow to the valve. So a MAP sensor would be useless, although an air flow meter could be used.

I know most people will say it can’t be done. The injector alone cannot control the fuel mix and RPM in this situation. That is correct and I intend to use a different system of control, that is mounted internally in the motor and the injectors are for fuel supply only.

This is why I won’t to learn about retro fitting EFI to just gain the experience before under taking more complex projects. At this stage it’s not about making more power or coolness.