mikuni's Opel Omega

mikuni

Heres my Omega GSi 3000 24 valve.

The Omega was made by Opel between 1986 and 1993 and this particular car is fitted with a 3 litre twincam straight 6. Despite popular belief it has little in common with the VN Commodore, which was actually based on the Opel Senator, rather than the Omega. They do look a little similar though, but I prefer the nice sharp lines of the Omega and you can't go past a good straight 6 (...or a shit one for that matter).

The car is unfortunately auto but I have a manual box from a parts car I bought that I plan to put in later. If the car survives till later.

This is how it looked when I got it.

Omega2.jpg

I picked up some cheap wheels that fit, which is really surprising being that it is 5x110 pcd. :rolleyes: I had them stripped and powder coated Karaka green. The guy had only ever done house roofs and garden sheds this colour prior to doing these wheels. I think they don't look too out of place though.

Just having a look what its going to look like

SANY1088.jpg

And afew pictures I got of the car today.

SANY1275.jpg

SANY1276.jpg

SANY1277.jpg

SANY1279.jpg

My camera skills and the cheap camera leave a lot to be desired but you get the basic idea.

I have some lowering springs that were removed from some sort of Commodore with IRS because the car was too low with them in. So these will hopefully be fitted some time soon, providing they do actually fit.

This is cool,

These are the same car that the lotus carlotn was build form wasnt it?

Was it this more in the carlton, well with tiwn turbo chargers and a gertrag manual cool?

Looks cool

Was called omega in europe. carlton in england.

Pretty sure it was a 3.6 twin turbo straight 6?

Dads got a picture on one at a motor show somewhere.

Was called omega in europe. carlton in england.

Pretty sure it was a 3.6 twin turbo straight 6?

Dads got a picture on one at a motor show somewhere.

Yeah thats right. You could buy a Lotus Omega also, when they were sold outside the UK. They went fast but fell to pieces faster apparently.

Reminds me of a camira. Lo pro tyres and bit of the lowering stick should make it look better?

Thats the plan, these are just the tyres that were on the wheels when I got them. Will upgrade to something later on and lowering should be occuring shortly.

You could be right. I quite like the look of it in person though. They do look greener.

I did want to do the wheels in body colour to make them blend in more but decided the gunmetal/anthracite/black wheels thing is a bit too common (at the time I had just painted my others that colour) so just decided on this colour instead.

Those wheels would be so mean if they were hoojer. They look it in the first pic.

Agreed. Unfortunately 5x110 are hard to find and they are bolts, so a restud is difficult. I could use wobble bolts and put on 5x108 or 5x112 but thats additional cost and can't be arsed. I also thought about using Commodore hubs to get 5x120 and I think this is the best idea if they go on alright. Will open up possibilties hugely and I'd probably be able to pick up some Commy stub axels/hubs/brakes for next to nothing. Its hard to find info on if they'd fit though because most Countries don't have both cars, either Opel or Holden... lol

And after all that, look at the clearance on that rear shot. Can't fit shit under those funny rear spat-like guards.

6 in shuv? nah it goes around corners now, which is sweet. I might as well keep it that way.

A c30se tidied up and on triples would be A+ though

xtapodakikw0.jpg

note: 4 valves cast into the head - they were stoked they managed to make a 4 valve engine finally :lol: pitty you can't actually see these when its in the bay