4AGE Wiring Question

KKtrips

Wondering if anyone knows what is the minimum amount of wiring required to make a 4age run on the standard computer.

Any e-help anyone can provide would be awesome..

looking squarely at Sheepers and Spence for their infinite Toyota knowledge... :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

about 6 wires if no ones hacked the loom, basicaly power for the injectors, coil ignitor etc which should be on one wire, then constant and switched power to the ECU. earths etc and it should fire up. Theres millions of pin outs on the net dude what gen engine is it? and i'll find you one

yeah what model ecu/loom? if its rwd 16v i can tell you exactly what wires you need.

if its 16v, you'll need:

switched power for injectors, tvis solenoid, coil/ignitor, ecu, alternator

batt power for ecu, alternator

sta power for cold start setup (just one wire)

also coil/ignitor must be earthed through its body/bracket too or won't run.

think thats all off the top of my head...

probably need something along the lines of:

BATT should have a continuous +12v supply,

+B and +B1 should be connected to +12v power supply when the ignition is on.

IGSW should have a +12v power supply when the ignition is in the run position.

STA should receive a +12v signal from the ign switch when the key is in the START pos. the ecu wants to know when your cranking because it doesnt know what position the engine is in otherwise.

Hope that helps

methinks its a fwd bluetop with TVIS - has had manifold altered from f-tugs for bum-push

do you have all 3 plugs for the ecu too? one of them (the 3rd one) is part of the dash wiring on the vehicle, and often gets missed but you need it for the +b and +b1, and batt terminals.

pop the cover off your ecu and you'll be able to suss out which pins are which.

the wires to power up tvis (black/yellow), injectors, and STA pin (thick black wire in centre of plug i think) should be found on the plug at the bottom of this pic. can't remember where the coil/ignitor power wire is, probably on this plug too. it'll be the black/yellow wire on the ignitor/coil plug anyway, just can't remember where the other end is!

DSC04332.jpg

i got a bit more time now, so just to be more specific, for a 16v bluetop tvis engine/loom this is what you should do. Most required power sources can be connected to the loom at the separate plug pictured above. I haven't got one of these looms in front of me so might not be 100% accurate with colours of wires. Wire colours changed after the bluetop so won't be applicable to later models. Also you'll need fuses on some of this stuff which I haven't mentioned.

Lastly, ALWAYS take the cover off your ECU and check which pins are which, to make sure you are altering/using the right wires. These pins possibly differ between fwd and rwd bluetop engines, SO CHECK YO SHIT!!

12v Ign source for

Injectors - 'BF' terminal on the ecu, on the 10p plug. This provides power for injectors etc. Think this wire might split off and can be found on the separate plug pictured above.

TVIS solenoid - Solenoid has two wires, one goes to ECU to which switches it and is fine as is. The other I think goes to the plug pictured above and should be a black/yellow wire which needs the power.

ECU -

Needs to come from a relay, and go to the '+B' and '+B1' pins on the ecu on the 14p plug.

Coil/ignitor - This wiring varies depending on what model you have, some have a single 4 pin plug, others have a 2 pin plug and 2x 1 pin plugs. Two wires go to the ECU for the engine signals. Third wire is black/yellow which will be the power feed, might be on the same wire as the tvis solenoid? Fourth wire is brown I think which should be an earth.

Coil/ignitor must be earthed through its body/bracket too or won't run.

12v Batt source for

ECU - Needs to go to 'Batt' pin on ecu, on the 14p plug. For ECU memory.

12v power with key on start ONLY

Cold start setup - This is a black wire on the centre of the plug pictured above. Will also be connected to the STA pin on the 10p plug of ECU.

Alternator

This requires 4 wires to charge. If you have the original 4AGE alternator plug, it goes like this:

Thick white wire - 12v Batt feed

Black/yellow wire - 12v Ign feed

Creamy yellow wire - Warning light feed

4th wire is a 12v Batt feed which is bolted to the post on the side of the alternator.

If none of the above means anything to you, put everything down now and send it to someone who knows what they're doing.

• 2 months later...
so its together, we tried to start it last night but not getting any spark or pulses at injectors. had a read through the info's above and will check a couple of things today.. any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated!

pull one of the plugs off any injector and turn the ignition on, see if theres 12v on one of the terminals. if not, thats why it isn't firing.

check if there is 12v at the coil and ignitor too, and make sure the coil is clamped to the body properly as they earth through the clamp.

loom and ecu are ae82 bluetop for information

Loom has been cut to three wires, but mostly at start oif loom and was done by a guy that does them all the time, possible fuck up though i guess,

Sounds like loom has some wired earthing out on coil or something.

hmmm......

Allan