4AGE Wiring Question

KKtrips

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just fix your fuel pump issue and you will be sweet.

i would say with resistors removed your lean issue will be gone, and you said it goes hard when you have the timing set up like you have had it.

i think your all sorted really man.

Swap ecu, see if uel pump still blows, if it does we can sort one from somewhere.

you will be away laughing haha

hhmmm.. it'll never stop bothering me man.. and even when it is running 'well' on super silly timing it will only start nicely when it's stone cold and from then on it takes 10 attempts to start it with all sorts of shudders and crazy shit going on. possibly a temp sensor thing? oh wait yeah weve already checked that shit out haha

funny you mention burning spence, with the fuel pump issues the other night i had images in my head of a picturesque kp60 bonfire on the south coast, would have been soothing at the time!

^ thats how i had it before, i'm pretty sure the fault is in the pump or its wiring, not the ecu side of things. it was blowing fuses as soon as i turned the key on, well before the relay even gets a signal to switch the pump on! only thing i'll be doing on the starlet for a while is getting the beers out from under the seat.

• 1 year later...

This thread is interesting, but it goes from 2 seperate things and kinda makes it confusing. From my understanding and study so far...

Dizzy coil ignitor - timing stuff <<< main area to focus - but once its left the dizzy cap its of to the leads and plugs so it cant be that stuff past that point.

TPS, MAP sensor, Manifold temp, - regulates fuel by adjusting the injector pulse width. If not enuff gas will cause surges.

Always the simple things are overlooked. Earths are the major. Check all the brown wires, to be sure run earth from engine (this means block and also inlet manifold so 2) to chassis, battery to chassis, ecu to engine. ecu to chassis. No change. earths eleminated. no harm in running earths.

But reading it sounds like its retardin when it should be advancing... DIZZY will be the first port of call. If youve rewired the thing the wire widths or amount of current flowing will matter greatly (fat wires less resistance). I havent yet started to wire my 4age so im expecting to find that it wont go that easy. So one also told me about JDM stuff and other stuff being mis matched, all stuff should be standy bluetop...

There was a tech article somewhere about redoing the dizzy bearing and it explains the wires inside as well... And plenty of bench going 4AGES feature on billy sherwoods page! another good place to look too.

Swap ECU over?

Swap Ignitor?

Dont go to carbs... see it through... you will scream joy when it works and dry hump anything in site.

This is a pretty old thread! this car carbs now, he tried combinations of different ECU's, dizzys, looms etc

Problem could be diagnosed in no time with a scope, check what the VR sensors are spitting out, see what the ECU in sending to the ignitor etc. Would narrow it down real quick

yeah, still keen to run efi one day in the future, once i find a set of MATCHING SHIT to put on haha.

meanwhile, the carbs are all good, hyperpak hasn't missed a beat, and reliable starlet life is good!

enjoying the look of carbs and the 4 wires it takes to run the ignition so going back to efi shit everywhere, no clearance on master cylinder bla bla etc isnt actually that appealing..

funny to see this thread rollin again