KKtrips

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey gang,

after some more help on a couple of things...

a) will a dx diff head go into starlet diff housing?

B) anyone know how the fuel pump wiring is run to incorporate the 4age ecu's safety shut off for the pump? one of the wires is labelled as the fuel pump safety latch in the pinout key i have but i dont know how to wire it up. at the moment i have the pump running contunuously, on a solenoid controlled by ign signal from the key. Mr. cert said it has to prime then shut off if the engine isn't running. saves emptying the tank in a crash etc

Starlets came with two different diffs, X code smaller and U code slightly larger in KP61 I think.

If its U code then yep it is the same U code as found in ke30 and ke70/dx's.

Use the fuel pump safety latch wire from ecu as the signal wire on a relay, instead of ign which will go all the time.

Starlets came with two different diffs, X code smaller and U code slightly larger in KP61 I think.

Yea as D said 2 diffs the chassis codes with starlets is simply the engine size, the diff change to 'U' happened with the facelift slant front starlets "drop hatch" stz

Yea the pin out for the fuel cut off should go into a relay it only runs the pump when cranking/running the engine

• 2 months later...

righto, heres the lates pickle..

situation: suspected cam timing out due to dizzy being in a stupid place and failing for leanness in cert emission test. yes leanness. and dizzy position/timing has always been wack as.

- set cam timing to sweet as

- blocked off tube between cam cover and intake plenum - possible leanness issue as i think the cam cover valving, or some such, was buggered and it was sucking the bejesus out of the motor and making seals chirp etc. this has now stopped

- and put in catch can on cam cover breather

- double checked TDC mark etc.

- even tried running rotor 180deg out, with swapped firing order. its a 13 tooth dizzy drive so not exactly 180

it runs well only when its at about 30deg btdc cos when you rev it it drops something like 30 or 40 deg back, thus it wont run when sitting at 10btdc, around where it should be. this has been constant through two computers and the whole time i've had the car

to be on 30btdc the dizzy is on max retard - so we swapped it over a tooth to try get it not to be at the end of its adjustment. then it'll only just run on full advance adjustment, and flat as shit.

questions with no answers as of yet:

- possible rotor phasing is out?

- does it have some wrong parts, possibly mr2 stuff i hear is a bit different?

- what is the meaning of life?

any 2c would be much appreciated.

Also are you setting the base timing with T and E1 shorted in the diagnostic plug? Most toyotas of this era you short these pins and set the timing to 10 Degrees BTDC. Once removed the ECU will advance things up to the correct idle advance (something like 14 degrees)

So basically your setup is retarding severely when it should be advancing under revs? I wouldnt bother mucking around with the position if thats the case. It'll be the dizzy or wiring maybe

I'll jump in cos Manu may not read this till later today.

With the diagnostic plug bridged

We set the timing to 10 BTDC and then rev it - straight off idle there is a distinct sluggish response as the timing retards to (I'm guessing) 30 ATDC although it steadily comes back up to 10 BTDC with revs..

If we set it to 30 BTDC and rev it - the timing drops away again but not so much that all power is lost..

Have tried varying things to rectify it but the only thing that we haven't really touched is the 3 wires going to the dizzy.. Can you tell us which wire goes to where?

I was having a think about this situation last night and moving the dizzy position in relation to the camshaft (one tooth on the scroll etc.) will not help the rotor phasing. My advice was a waste of time.

If rotor phasing is the culprit then either the soft iron reluctor on the upper dizzy shaft is on in the wrong place or the dizzy has the wrong rotor or cap.

If no one can come up with a more obvious solutionI still think that the dizzy should be mounted to my dizzy tester and eliminated as the trouble maker. It will take 20 minutes to prove the dizzy is good or not.

As you may recall my dizzy was retarding at revs and was also locked (no mechanical advance) until we found the problem.

I will be at the shed from 5.30pm machining the new propellor to make the bloody thing fit properly and then out for a dive. You wantum da tester den holla.

Spencer: The one time I looked at the timing light the advance at idle was about 45 degrees. KKK reved the motor and the advance droped to something like 32 degrees and stayed there. When the motor dropped back to idle the advance stayed at 32 degrees. The trouble with this car is it is full of fucking computers and metric.