Making steel wheels wider

Vintage Grumble

send them to elite, pay the money, get wheels back. win?

all they do is part the wheel in two and weld a new band in

Needs to be done by a proper company and then certed to the car to be legal, but can easily get away with it without being certed. legally they can go to a max width band of 3" but they will band it to whatever size you want

I just brought a house, so sure as hell wont be paying anyone to do it, aint got no money :lol: I will get them parted and welded by someone who knows what they are doing, but im not sure the wheels I have here have enough lip on them to start with, as the bead is rite on the center pretty much, if ya know what I mean?

since when do they have to be certified to be legal?

Im sure I read that on the lvv site but just had a look and im heaps wrong lol

Yea widen it at the smallest dia' of the rim. that way you wont run into problems like mikuni did with fitting tyres.

"Yea widen it at the smallest dia' of the rim. that way you wont run into problems like mikuni did with fitting tyres" = the problem I got, the smallest dia of the rim is behind the center, so they would end up wide, with no dish and that = gay as fuck. Guess I need to find some diff rims.

dunno if this pic helps or not but will post it anyway. the original 4" wide viva rim didn't have much of a 'dish' either but they cut it real close to where the centre is welded to the rim and band it there.

DSCF1150.jpg

I reckon for the hassle involved just get Elite to do it. It cost me about $300 (including freight back up) all up to get the set of four widened 3" and at least I know they have been done properly (well.. apart from the one weld which leaked).

Guess I need to find some diff rims.

Pretty much. Not all steels are suitable for widening.

Other options, taking out the centre and widening the back. Have a look at a few steel wheels and you will know what I mean and on which ones it will work best on.

Or, and this is pretty much the easiest way to get right, just find some other wide steel wheels (from a van or even some aftermarket steels, trailer wheels etc) for cheap, remove those centres and weld yours in. You can chose your offset, you won't have any tyre fitment issues and as long as you get the centre in right they will ballance up easier.

dunno if this pic helps or not but will post it anyway. the original 4" wide viva rim didn't have much of a 'dish' either but they cut it real close to where the centre is welded to the rim and band it there.

DSCF1150.jpg

I reckon for the hassle involved just get Elite to do it. It cost me about $300 (including freight back up) all up to get the set of four widened 3" and at least I know they have been done properly (well.. apart from the one weld which leaked).

Thanks heaps for that, looking at that pic, thats exactly how my ones will have to be done, cut rite next to the join of the center to rim, I have 3 diff sets here, and they would all have to be done like that, so good to know it can be done. Cheers.

DO NOT need a cert, mine I simply had to bring proof of fabrication (elite receipt etc) to the first wof it went through, gets noted in the system and is all gravy from then onwards..

May have LVVA "rules" somewhere, but from memory only allowed to add up to 2.5", anything more than that and you have to go centerless rim to what ever width it is you're after

• 1 year later...
ive known bout the steel surgeon, he use to widen our rims for our dirt track car. But was told he doesnt make em for road vehicles.

Im not sure ? He has widened wheels for me in the past and ive had no problems. Maybe he tells people that to save any hasel with legality problems.

He does a good job i know that much.

ive known bout the steel surgeon, he use to widen our rims for our dirt track car. But was told he doesnt make em for road vehicles.

Im not sure ? He has widened wheels for me in the past and ive had no problems. Maybe he tells people that to save any hasel with legality problems.

He does a good job i know that much.

I agree on his skill and ability. Probably just covering his ass if anything maybe. Alright, you sold me. Im using him to widen me wheels.

Chur

• 4 years later...

Hey guys, am looking around to widen my steels and called steel surgeon as they did my bros diff but they quoted 115 per wheel up to 2 1/2 inch max or 125 for a band bigger than 2 1/2.

Is there anywhere cheaper? seems pretty steep paying $460. considering according to this thread it used to be $200

I also cant find factory wider steels as my stud pattern is a stink 4x140