Lowrota's Wog Chariot Valiant.

MACKAZ

Fucking choice. Got soft spot for these babes. Had one many years ago, VG Regal. one tip though, if you put a 4bbl carb on it please only go to 465 cfm, Double pumpers or anything larger will bore wash the fuck out of a Hemi. In my opinion (used to race a stockcar with an E31 Pacer 245 in it) is use a 40 DCD weber in place of the stock Email or Rochester thats fitted. Far far superior. Bolt pattern is the same iirc but throttle linkages need changing. Anyhow cool ride. Actually wouldnt mind getting another VJ Regal (Yep had one of them too, and a GENUINE E48 4speed Charger too 8) )

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks mint man, I reckon stick with current colour, far too many orange vals around (I have nothing against them, but its nice to see a fresh one around)

Mate has a VG Regal, fully restored on minilites... Not as cool as his 360 bored to 383 AP5 with disc brake 9" amoung other things!

Sweet! good to see some Vals on here!

I'm building a VG regal ATM, owned it since '95. It WILL be on the road before the end of summer. Don't convert to manual choke. The auto choke works mint when it's set up properly. Most of the vals I've owned have had manual chokes fitted, and NONE of them have worked worth a damn. The thing with the factory set up is when you pump the gas the choke butterfly snaps shut, choking the engine. And as the motor is cranking, the bimetalic spring in the wee pod bolted to the exhause manifold moves allowing the choke butterfly to flap. This lets air into the motor. Without the butterfly being able to flap and let air in, it wont start. There is a small diaphram on the other side of the choke shaft. This is the vaccuum unloader. As the air speed through the venturi's picks up, this diapram pulls the wee rod and allows the butterfly to open. They are getting a bit old, but The auto chokes are FTW when set up right.

Extractors, A work of advise with fitting headers to a hemi six. With the facorty exhaust manifold, it is flanged to the underside of the inlet manifold which heats the carb. EVERY six cylinder valiant I've had extractors on has developed an off-idle stumble or flat spot. It's a real pain in the arse. More often than not I've gone back to the Iron zhorst manifold.

I've heard that these early vals use ythe same PCD as some subaru's. But I'd stick with the tridents. Thats what I'm runnning on mine :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sweet! good to see some Vals on here!

I'm building a VG regal ATM, owned it since '95. It WILL be on the road before the end of summer. Don't convert to manual choke. The auto choke works mint when it's set up properly. Most of the vals I've owned have had manual chokes fitted, and NONE of them have worked worth a damn. The thing with the factory set up is when you pump the gas the choke butterfly snaps shut, choking the engine. And as the motor is cranking, the bimetalic spring in the wee pod bolted to the exhause manifold moves allowing the choke butterfly to flap. This lets air into the motor. Without the butterfly being able to flap and let air in, it wont start. There is a small diaphram on the other side of the choke shaft. This is the vaccuum unloader. As the air speed through the venturi's picks up, this diapram pulls the wee rod and allows the butterfly to open. They are getting a bit old, but The auto chokes are FTW when set up right.

Extractors, A work of advise with fitting headers to a hemi six. With the facorty exhaust manifold, it is flanged to the underside of the inlet manifold which heats the carb. EVERY six cylinder valiant I've had extractors on has developed an off-idle stumble or flat spot. It's a real pain in the arse. More often than not I've gone back to the Iron zhorst manifold.

I've heard that these early vals use ythe same PCD as some subaru's. But I'd stick with the tridents. Thats what I'm runnning on mine :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Oh cool as mate will stick with trying to get the auto choke to go. What do you recommend replacing to get her working properly?

Un hook the arm from the zhorst manifold, and see that the spring inside is still working. (Push the arm down, and see if it springs back up) If it doesn't take it off the manifold, and see if you can free it up. It should actually be adjustable to increase or decrease the amount of spring force it has. when the engine is cold, you should be able to open the throttle, and the arm should close the choke butterfly, and snap another arm so that the fast idle stop drops down.

lol I never use a stock choke ever, I also never use a stock carb either. All my Vals have been cammed, fitted with either 350 holley 2bbl or in the Chargers case 3 48mm Sidedraft Webers (yeah I know not original for E48), and had headers on them, Apart from the Pacer engine in the stockcar, which used a stock exhaust manifold, which restricts the fuck out of them......

• 4 weeks later...

Done boot lock, por15 every bit of rust i could find, Fisholene ssrayed in every crevice, doors, boot, bonnet etc. New fuel sender on its way as im sick of the guessing how much fuels in there lol. Polished the wheels,.

Need to fix the leaks in the air shocks asap. Sits extremely low in the back.

• 2 weeks later...