Cleaning/Refreshing old engine

WARTYM

talked to my good mate who i got it from and he said that, when they brought it the engine was in bits they put it together fixed a valve and rebedded it. got the engine running but was smokey and used oil. so they started to pull the engine back down so that they could get the bore honed.

he and his father lost interest in the project and left it how it was (radiator removed/valve cover removed/exhaust manifold removed/leads removed/distubitor cap removed.

he said it should run, considering it turns over nice and sweetly by hand.

said they couldnt get it started with the starter as it just cranked and cranked so they tow started it and it run good apart from being smokey.

Any help now that iv got some background info on the engine ?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally vouch for WURTH Kompression, it worked a treat. Pretty sure most European car sales/parts departments will have it i got mine from the VW place here in hamilton

bro snap-on sell some that garenteed to give you at least 10:1 its a little bit more expensive but fuck .. you cant pay to much for a product that works

its not like its going to be a beast of a thing. as long as it runs im happy, for now its gonna do duty around the farm. once i have spare money. im going to replace the body/gaurds/bonnet/grill/tailgate with rust free items. once that is done i'll look at getting it back on the road. then i will replace the engine most proberly a engine conversion for a 4age or something. but need this engine to get running for the time being

i personally vouch for WURTH Kompression, it worked a treat. Pretty sure most European car sales/parts departments will have it i got mine from the VW place here in hamilton

bro snap-on sell some that garenteed to give you at least 10:1 its a little bit more expensive but fuck .. you cant pay to much for a product that works

I suppose the lifetime warranty is a plus too.

its not like its going to be a beast of a thing. as long as it runs im happy, for now its gonna do duty around the farm. once i have spare money. im going to replace the body/gaurds/bonnet/grill/tailgate with rust free items. once that is done i'll look at getting it back on the road. then i will replace the engine most proberly a engine conversion for a 4age or something. but need this engine to get running for the time being

Lol so the plan is to replace the entire vehicle in stages?

err no just the replaceable body panels that have rusted, driveline and chassis has no rust checked it all out.

painted the rocket cover today lol.

i'll go around tomorrow and try find and buy a can of compression. and engine start stuff.

then hopfully i get compression+spark+fuel = 1 running motor with a bit of smoke

cleaned the engine up today.

Started to put a few things back, took the carb off to give it a clean.

gave it a crank today with the battery hooked it all up and most of the stuff works, such as all the dash lights/fan/lights.

cranked it without the sparkplugs and the valve cover to get rid of all the shit and water. then i drained out the old oil/water for the engine, the water was in there from when i cleaned the head.

heres some photos:

dsc00179cp7.jpg

dsc00190zu0.jpg

dsc00184el1.jpg

Cleaned the body up too and its not that bad apart from the front bumper and bonnet, but im still going to replace the whole body once the engine is up and running.

dsc00186jx2.jpg

hahaha hooked everything up yesterday, new plugs, new oil.

connected fuel up to a bottle, and tried to fire it, after cranking it for a bit and realising it wasn't trying to fire, id thought id check if we were getting any spark at all, much to my disappointment no spark.

Opened up the distributor cap and guess what. lol there's no distributor rotor in there.

so today i check at the repco/supercheap auto stores in Hamilton to track me down a rotor. found 1 at te rapa and bought contact points too for it.

hopefully I'll put it all in tomorrow and try and crank it and *Fingers crossed it should fire into life*

brought a can of "START YA BASTARD" engine starter