Truenotch

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

What do you reckon 'thumb in the air' your transmission losses would be approx?

Assuming you have followed those TRD (iirc) headers/exhaust closely what sort of gains do you reckon you have over 'stock' currently/any idea what a factory spec celica SSIII would put out atfw? Just as a comparison.

What sort of adj cam gear are you running atm, is it off the previous motor? or just stock but controlled as per previous from the ECU?

So...whats next? anything more this season?

It's really hard to say what the gains have been from the modifications because I've never seen another redtop beams run in RWD form on the same dyno as my car... When Roman ran this engine in his MR2 it had 127KW in FWD form using the factory ECU and a Toms exhaust manifold IIRC, but the dyno would definitely give a different reading to the rolling road and had less drivetrain loss.

The adjustable cam gear on the intake is custom made by Jase (eke_zetec_rwd) and I haven't set it up yet... We just guessed that full advance would be ok :P . The exhaust gear is off the old motor, as are the dizzy, throttles and all electronics.

For this season it will get more tuning to try and find more power but apart from that I just want to drive it and get used to the new power delivery... and hopefully chop a couple of seconds out of my P.B lap time.

Yeah man it was a huge effort to get it running in time! Wouldn't have been possible without the help of Jase (eke), John (CXG) and a tuner that works too hard (Saturday night tuning ftw).

They're silvertop throttles - 43mm ID at the flange face and mine have been machined out at the top to take a ~50mm ram tube. Brendan Duncker was using the same throttles on his Beams with large cams, headwork etc so they should flow enough for me. I'm going to either get a set of very short (25mm long) tubes made up or cut a set of Weber ones we have to get more clearance above the bellmouth and build a divider tray/airbox for a better air supply. Pretty stoked that my AW11 had a TRD panel filter in it when I bought it back, so that's going in there to protect the redtop.

... Got yours sorted yet? :P .

They're silvertop throttles - 43mm ID at the flange face and mine have been machined out at the top to take a ~50mm ram tube. Brendan Duncker was using the same throttles on his Beams with large cams, headwork etc so they should flow enough for me.

Aaahh yep yep... That is still a smaller dia than the factory intake runners though! They're about 45-46mm on the standard manifold. I reckon you should try a standard manifold on the dyno and see if there's much difference... If there is, then you'll know that the reduction in size at that point is restrictive.

Pretty stoked that my AW11 had a TRD panel filter in it when I bought it back, so that's going in there to protect the redtop.

Is that your AW with the rollcage?

... Got yours sorted yet? .

Yes and no... It's finished mechanically, and I could drive it if I wanted to.

But I'm resisting the temptation until I've finished the body work and have the car painted. Would rather not get crap all over the primer, and have poor adhesion and paint falling off later on. Have had a pretty shitty run with jobs lately so spending $$$ on cars hasnt really been an option. All good now though with my new job, so as soon as I've got $$$ for paint, it's go time 8)

Nah not the AW with the cage, I bought my old Green/Gold one back as a daily.

The throttles thing will be worth a look if I can find an altezza intake manifold to test the theory with, but it still might not fit. The runners are 45mm ID and the flange is matched to the throttles, I think it's pretty good and can't see it being any more restrictive than a factory manifold.

Your throttles have less cross sectional area than the ports not a ideal scenario. Glenn has dyno plots of a stock beams making more power everywhere with 48mm throttles compared to blacktop ones, so even they are too small. But hey it goes! plenty of time in the future to change things when your after more beans

• 1 month later...
BUGGER! guttering!

makes me think i should probably get my injectors that have been sitting for some time overhauled.

I'v tested a few sets of supposed bung injectors (including these ones just now) and not one had anything wrong with them.

It's usually something wrong with airflow, wiring or a knock sensor circuit.

BUGGER! guttering!

makes me think i should probably get my injectors that have been sitting for some time overhauled.

I'v tested a few sets of supposed bung injectors (including these ones just now) and not one had anything wrong with them.

How do you test them?

We took in 12 injectors from 2 1G's that had been sitting for ages to make a good set of 6 and only 4 or so of the 12 were working. I don't think faulty injectors is a myth.

BUGGER! guttering!

How do you test them?

We took in 12 injectors from 2 1G's that had been sitting for ages to make a good set of 6 and only 4 or so of the 12 were working. I don't think faulty injectors is a myth.

Yeah injectors will stuff out but when someone hands me a set of newer say R34 skyline injectors that are apparently playing up they are usually not. Older stuff can be gay.

But I put them in the tester and if one is a bit down or there is a variance between the flow rates I put them in the ultrasonic cleaner.

These ones were perfect.