pies

re-registering a vehicle

Hey guys i read about 7 pages but just want some confirmation about my issues

I have a 1987 prelude I'm parting out. It's rusty af. Auto, reg on hold. Say if I get rid of it, find one that's less rusty but say needs a new engine could I swap my better ish engine in and go for a re vin with little to worry about? 

Do they remove fenders, wiper cowl, weatherstrips, trim, bumpers etc to check for rust? 

I've been told that they do, and it costs $600 to go through this process - but my source is unreliable so I'm here as old-school is pretty credible! Thanks 

19 minutes ago, tortron said:

another 80's prelude

21 minutes ago, Bling said:

Which car are you talking about revinning?

Yep pretty much swapping over my good parts from the one I currently have - rusty, reg on hold shell - to one that has a good rust free body but say an engine with a dead cylinder.

Identical cars with minor differences such as colour, facelift/Pre-facelift etc

Oh yeah you can swap mechanically identical parts no worries. Just confused me as you were talking about the rusty one being on hold, so I thought you were going to keep the plates or something. If it's basically a parts car for your good one, then thats basically all oldschool cars. Not much is kept original when a car has been around the clock a few times. At a certain age, the revin is easier as it's more of a strict WOF check. For newer cars, they get pulled to bits a bit more. Like I say though, not sure what the cut off is. Any company like VTNZ (If they do revins) will let you know the cutoff date for that.

If the engine is flagged, which i'm not sure they care or not. Just explain the old one shat the bed and so you replaced it with a donor engine the same.

• Like 2

The cutoff for old vs new when I did the mini was about 1990 or 1991.

Before that date is basically a tough WOF. After that it's a compliance inspection like a new import gets. 

A tough wof = more picky on things such as suspension/brakes? 

Compliance inspection = removal of interior panels, bumpers etc to check for rust?

9 hours ago, 87creepin said:

A tough wof = more picky on things such as suspension/brakes? 

Compliance inspection = removal of interior panels, bumpers etc to check for rust?

Thats the one. They'll still cut you down if the car is rusty, but wont go ripping things to bits to hunt it out unless they have a reason to. They will also make it harder for you if the car was de-reg due to being written off instead of just lapsing.

• Thanks 1