Turbo water lines, or lack there of...

zep

Hey boes!

I have been reading, and it seems that I can not run water lines. And by not run them, I mean that it's really not that neccessary as they do about as much as a dead hooker.

Is this true? Can I just not run them, cause that'd be pretty cool, or should I run them for the sake of it?

Turbo is T3bb from RB25DET (r33).

Cheers boes

rofl , fair nuff i say , i say that so much at work lol such a hypocrite

i relly think itd be for a longetivity of the thing rather then anything else to be honest, garret will say run it but its xcould be becuase #1 they dont want shit coming back saying turbo failure due to lack of cooling (after 50,000km or whatever warrenty is) or be like me and go ' i work on these things all fuckin day dont tell me how to treat/fix/service them ' stz

yea im not running water lines on my vr4 conversion, with evo turbo

alot of mitsi guys dont bother

is a common thing not to run them

general consenses is that they are there to help cool it the turbo down on shutoff etc, so aslong as you dont run your car hard as hell then shut it down quickly youl be fine, some say get a turbo timer others say just dont boost it hard for a few minutes before you stop driving

while the car is running the oil does most of the cooling

some garret ballbearings dont even come with water lines depending on the model

Put it this way, it can only be better, not worse to run coolant through the turbo. The plain bearing old T3 off my Lancia is water cooled so its got nothing to do with ball bearing, or ceramic etc. It takes a little effort but I always hook up the water cooling. People leave the water cooling off as they are lazy or its just too difficult.

Expect to change the oil more often if you leave them off as it will be doing all of the cooling. Or get an oil cooler...

Personally I would think it unwise to not want to cool your turbo, considering the hotter it gets, the more heat it transfers to the air charge. Not to mention all of the problems associated with core failure...

all water cooled turbos i have seen run there cooling water after it has left the block, its going to be a 80 degrees plus anyway

aslong as you have a oil cooler your turbo will be fine

but as said you may need to make sure you do regular oil changes but if your not doing that anyway id be suprised

factory cars water cool there turbos because joe average is lazy with oil changes, warming down etc

theres no harm in watercooling it but it is definately not essential

The water cooling hose for the turbo on my Lancia comes straight off the bottom of the radiator and then up to the main pipe to the water pump. Its the only car ive seen like that though. Using coolant off the block is fine. 80 degrees C is much cooler than 100-120 degrees the oil can get to, not to mention the heat transfered from the turbine.

I agree its not essential on any turbo but its a good thing.

all water cooled turbos i have seen run there cooling water after it has left the block, its going to be a 80 degrees plus anyway

aslong as you have a oil cooler your turbo will be fine

but as said you may need to make sure you do regular oil changes but if your not doing that anyway id be suprised

factory cars water cool there turbos because joe average is lazy with oil changes, warming down etc

theres no harm in watercooling it but it is definately not essential

There is a MASSIVE temperature differential between 450°C (An average temp of a turbo/exhaust manifold) and 80°C (Err 370° Kelvin for that matter) so transferring that heat to a heat exchanger as opposed to leaving it in the turbo core is almost a requirement if you want your oil to live for any length of time at all, bearing in mind that the oil is protecting your engine, not just the turbo.

Also, oil blow-by should be reduced significantly if the core has additional cooling

I was told that the Group B Lancers never ran them because it caused the coolant system to overload due to the heat they were generating

Most likely bollocks

so isnt

edit - btw where were you on sat cunt

having had stropped a few turbo cars at night and owned a couple and seen how redmotherfuckinghot they can get 80 degree water would be like chucking one in a freezer.

not saying you need lines etc because clearly you dont, but fuck, if i had them id sure as hell run them, something with mega fine tolerances spinning 60k+rpm @ 200 degrees plus needs all the help it can get