Yowzer's '72 MS65 Crown

Flippy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Saw this last night at te awamutu mobil, looked mint as on the outside. Ride height and wheels look nice too, Good Job on building it up to what it is now

Haha yeah that was Sams doing. Was originally a tad lower at the back on the cutties, but it has semi-legal stuff in the back now. I'm more focused on interior and mechanical at the moment although lack of funds mean progress is slow. Once thats done and I have something else to use as a daily I'll sus out paintwork and rechroming the trims.

• 11 months later...

choice you got it going again

poos that you polished through lushness,.

also, I've got one of those leaflets too. they were the ones on stands at the toyota dealerships back in the day

mine's got scrawlings of how much they were brand new.

auto ones were like $5500, manual was $5k flat.

lowl

apparently at the same time frontes were about 3 or 4hundred and xj6 jags were 2.5kish

• 1 month later...

heres what i can remember from when i did this 11 years ago,

the 5mge manifold looks the same as the 4m but the flange is a bit further back. you can bolt the stock crown zorst to the 5mge manifold but it will move your whole zorst system back, causing the diff to hit the zorst.

fan wont fit in stock crown rad shroud (no biggie really)

i can vaguely remember some problems with the outlets on the power steering pump and i had a problem with the alternator.

oh, and change your thermostat. they don't like sitting around for some reason and there is nothing worse than doing an M conversion because of a blown headgasket only to watch the temp guage soar as soon as you get it running.

oh, one other thing, the stock fuel outlet pipe from the tank is a bit small to feed the injection pump directly, it will work but it would be best to run a (large) surge tank so you don't get any fuel starve issues.

cant think of anything else.

do you reckon youll be at the meet on sat??

sheepers.

I'll hopefully make it to the meet somehow

I've already got a surge tank and am hoping I can raid the fuel lines from the cressida, power steering isn't an issue yet as I haven't bothered sticking in the new rack. Exhaust is getting a few mods to it anyway, and yep I'll take note of the thermostat.

Cheers man

the lines are too small, your right. you could steel the feed line from the cressy, use the crown feed as you new return, will work fine.

but the main problem is the actual outlet that is welded into the tank, its far to small.

should be ok with a surge tank.

sheepers.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like its coming along well man. I would say just don't rush the last few little bits. Better to get it done right now so you won't have too many issues down the track.

Going to be a mean cruiser though. 5M-GE's are highly under rated engines.

Yeah I've been constantly rechecking all the electrics and fuel system, making sure everything is secure and not in the way of something that could potentially destroy it. Not keen on a high pressure fuel leak in my boot..

I did invest in a fire extinguisher just in case though.

Have a gas mig, but it ain't working as good as it should. Regulator seems to be rooted. S'pose a mig set up for gasless is better than a gas mig with no gas.

I'll see if I can get anything good from it, if not I'll PM ya. I only need it for a 5cm blat, if that.