Running In Fresh Engines

Jonny

to run in a new cam you should hold it at 2000-2500 for about 15 minutes, then drive it in "short bursts" accel hard (but don't bring it way up the rev range) in say 4th gear, then let it engine brake for a bit, then accel again and so on.

Then drive it fairly normally but no thrashing and try not to let it idle for ages, then change the oil

Someone will prob tell me thats a load of rubbish.. Its just what I've read on the net. So many people have different opinions on the matter :?

I dont have an engine reconditioner, so kinda out of the question, don't theres too many around here, cars not road legal so cant take it out for a cruise, driveways a couple of hundred metres long so can run it up and down that, ottherwise i can't really do much else.

to run in a new cam you should hold it at 2000-2500 for about 15 minutes, then drive it in "short bursts" accel hard (but don't bring it way up the rev range) in say 4th gear, then let it engine brake for a bit, then accel again and so on.

Then drive it fairly normally but no thrashing and try not to let it idle for ages, then change the oil

Someone will prob tell me thats a load of rubbish.. Its just what I've read on the net. So many people have different opinions on the matter :?

That's basically what I do. Fill it with cheap mineral oil, 15 mins @ 2500 to run the cam in, then short bursts up and down the rev range for about 25km. Then change the oil and give it shit.

The theory is that tolerances are so good these days, you've got to be pretty rough to seal everything up.

That's basically what I do. Fill it with cheap mineral oil, 15 mins @ 2500 to run the cam in, then short bursts up and down the rev range for about 25km. Then change the oil and give it shit.

The theory is that tolerances are so good these days, you've got to be pretty rough to seal everything up.

And me....

The cam is under most load at idle which is why with a new cam you idle it at 2000rpms or over. this keeps the over the nose pressure down on the lobes, if the engine starts to over heat say 10 mins in turn it off let it cool down then finish off running the cam in. Once that's done I take it out and do 20-25 kms pretty much crusing but with lots of burst at about 3/4 throttle up the rev range. Then I'll give it a good ragging. After that it's run in. I do ~ 500km then an oil/filter change.

The big thing is not to load it to much with low rpms as the bore wash can remove the oil and cause severe wear rings/bore because of the load and lack of lubircation.

Use the cheapest mineral oil you can find, I've seen an evo engine run in on castrol GTX and it glazed the bores some thing wicked and was drinking oil after about 2000 kms

Me n pete just ran in a Mitsi 4G37 SOHC after we fitted it with new rings and bearings. According to instructions on the ACL rings, it said to not let it idle for too long, and to put it under load for the first 20kms at the least. It's important to vary the load on the engine, otherwise the bores may glaze up. I took it to about 4000~4500rpm in the first few gears and opened the throttle often.

Basically run it in how you would like to drive it later on.

Also, if you are fitting ACL Protec rings, it is absolutely important to NOT hone the bore before hand and don't let any oil get in contact with the rings during assembly.

DONT RUN IT IN UNDER LOAD. Thats basically the worst thing you can do for both running a cam in and also an engine!!!

There isnt really a right way to run an engine in. Some people like to go hard from the firstkey on, some like to nana it round and some like to accelerate hard but not rev it alot.

I let mine warm up then took it for a drive. Didnt take it past 3500RPM for bout 200ks (this is a pinto) After that I stepd it up everynow and then to round 4-5max then after 900ks I let it have full revs of 6. Helped I ran the car from Rotorua to Welly straight of the prime and key on. i pulled the head off about 1 month after ran in to put my hot head on and there was not one bit of piston slap etc so id say this way is 100% sweet to do..

*** READ THIS*** Gives a bit of both views and has a mint as link in first post.

http://forums.performancecar.co.nz/phpB ... ne+running

PS. Dont forget to prinme it first...

&

Set ya idle high to aviod loading at idle.

&

I wouldnt recomend running a new cam in at same time as new engine.