Toyopet's Toyota Corolla KE26 Wagon

thminiman

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driveshaft Safety Loop

2.5 (8) A front-engine, rear-wheel drive low volume vehicle that has undergone an engine conversion, or has had its factory-fitted engine significantly modified, such that a significant increase in power or torque has resulted, must be fitted with an effective 360-degree front drive-shaft loop, mounted withing 150mm rearward of each front drive-shaft universal.

The advice from LVVTA and my certifier was significant increase only relates to factory engine, all conversions must have a loop fitted. But that will be up to your certifier assuming you get it certed.

Which means I'm stuck with needing two loops for the two peice shaft in my Starlet.

Callum

haha i was hopping u would come into this convo

cause now i no its true ( and i dont mean that in a snarky way either )

thanks man

i have also seen a drive shaft share in half on a truck but that was due to metal fatuge

and yea the only 3 ways a drve shaft can come out is

uj breaks

bolts share or arnt tite and fall out

or metal fatuge and the shaft breaks

i would be more worried about who ever u get to do ur bolts up that they dont do them up tite anuf

i would be more worried about who ever u get to do ur bolts up that they dont do them up tite anuf

ill probably be doing them up and torquing them to whateva the book says.

is that ok?

Buh, overratted. just do up toight

ill probably be doing them up and torquing them to whateva the book says.

is that ok?

Just make sure they are the proper factory grade bolts and have the spring washers and you will be fine, seen a suprising number over the years with odd bolts substituted in.

Callum

Yuh old cars come with dodgy rounded off bolts and shit windscreen wipers. haha

well i was talking to my mechanic on the weekend, and he had the rule book out for warrants and certs etc, we went through everything i was worried about, engine transplant, seats etc.

he said as long as power increase is less than 20% i dont need a drive shaft loop and / or cert, and my seats, he said, just bolt them to the factory rails from my old seats and they will be mint.

awesome :)

i was also thinking i should get the cert for engine conversion, just for peace of mind... will see what happens.