My Gem Is Sick...

zep

Hey Guys,

I have a little problem with my TD coupe.

It has the following mods if it helps diagnose the problem: 4-1 Extractors + 2"exhaust, 32/36 Weber and a Ramflow.

Anyway, yesterday I drive my car to work and it was running fine; revs would go up well and it would pick up, no backfiring, you know, pretty much like a normal well tuned Gemini.

After work (and the car witting in the hot hot sun and humidity for 4 hours), I started her up and noticed something was wrong. As I went to reverse out of my parking space I pulled out the clutch and reved the accellerator and the carby sucked and died. There was no power. So I revved in neutral and all was good.

It seems that when under load, ie: foot to the floor, it looses power. When I plant my foot, the revs drop off almost to nothing then build up again and it feels like you are dragging something heavy or something.

She has started backfiring a bit now, and the other interesting thing is the rev count. While watching the tacho, when I revved to about 4grand (to see if it was ok) it would jump around, the sound of the engine didn't match what it was doing, jumping between 4-5k.

I thought it could be a few things

1) Fuel filter / pump. Might be clogged up (and it looked a bit haggard), not sure how to test the pump.

2) Timing might have decided to go waaaay waaay out, or my vacuum advance might be busted or something.

3)The coil or dizzy might have shat itself but I'm not sure how to test these either.

Also, is it possible it might be something to do with the clutch, I can tell its getting old, but didn't think that should affect the engine performance.

Plugs and leads maybe?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Leon

hey i had the same kinda thing happen once on one of my cars, it was the vacuum advance, i ended up just disconecting the vacum hose between the carb and dizzy and it went sweet as but it would run on. if you try pulling that off and it run then there could be a leak in the vacuum somewhere

cheers

Matt

that sounds like what happened to the work van when we took it away up north for new years (still does it when its cold). We thought it mite have been the fuel filter, but we couldnt get access to it cos its a dirty van and they suck to get to. :x

It idles fine, but when you press your foot down on the gas, it starts to cough and splutter and revs drop to near stall, but then it seems to catch or something and starts to rev up normally. Sounds similar to what yours is doing, ill have a listen next time i pop over. Could be a dirty fuel filter, and crap is getting sucked through it into the engine, but im not an expert. :?

When my vacum advance unit had a hole in it, it just made the car die when it was idling, it was pretty much sweet if the revs were kept up over 1500. But that was a hole, it wasn't broken as such, if you know what I mean. Only cost 30 bucks to get renewed in the south island, if you get quoted more than that, let me know, and I'll get it done for you.

That is, if that's what the prob is :P

Ok I had a more indepth look.

Found that the timing was out by about 8 degrees so we fixed that, but it hasn't really solved the problem.

It also seems that the secondary throat of the weber might not be getting any petrol. When I pull the throttle when the car is off, should it also squirt out the secondary jet?

Carby was also loose as a hooker, so we tightened that back up to the manifold.

But yeah, I think the carb might be rooted, like no power after 4 grand.

I'm gonna swap the coil for a 'performance' one I got off of my parts car too, I'll see how that goes.

Ok I had a more indepth look.

Found that the timing was out by about 8 degrees so we fixed that, but it hasn't really solved the problem.

It also seems that the secondary throat of the weber might not be getting any petrol. When I pull the throttle when the car is off, should it also squirt out the secondary jet?

Only if it's mechnical secondary (and even then i'm not 100% that it would), if it's vacuum secondary, which I assume it will be then ... no, not when the car is off. I'm sure you can figure out why.

Carby was also loose as a hooker, so we tightened that back up to the manifold.

But yeah, I think the carb might be rooted, like no power after 4 grand.

I'm gonna swap the coil for a 'performance' one I got off of my parts car too, I'll see how that goes.

Maybe some shit got into your secondary try a carb rebuild, parts shouldn't be too hard to get I wouldn't think.

I solved my annoying carb cutout problem by changing to twins. :D

It sounds like the carb jets are probably blocked. Take the top half of the carb off and unscrew the two main jets at the bottom of the float chamber and the two air jets at the top, also take a look on each side of the carb, near the top of each barrel on the outside there should be another two jets (one on each side). Remove them all and DONT mix them up, and then clean them out by blowing compressed air through them.

Give it a go, im sure thats the problem :wink:

Cheers guys, I guess I'll give that a go tomorrow.

It was only recon'd about 2 months ago, so that would be annoying.

So I'll clean the carb, and change the coil and fuel filter. Give it a tune and see how she runs.

ohh and leon that 28/36 was a rare carb... read the retro ride mag the xflow tuning section.... they recon they were like the best carb ever... and it was put on 1500gt corts.... but when they got to the 1600 eskie motors they got weber to specially build 32 DFM? carbs which aren't as good apparently.....

ohh and leon that 28/36 was a rare carb... read the retro ride mag the xflow tuning section.... they recon they were like the best carb ever... and it was put on 1500gt corts.... but when they got to the 1600 eskie motors they got weber to specially build 32 DFM? carbs which aren't as good apparently.....

Haha mean, I love hearing good news about my carb/engine :D

haha leon did.. then he gave it too me and i gave it back to him then he gave it to murray at weber specs, who in return rebuilt his 32/36...

Pushrod what exactly is the deal with all these carbs... it said that the 28/36 was good becase of its dual stage venturis or soemthing aye... good fuel economy... but still when you put your foot down you get a full two throats.... what are these 32 DFMs? is that a 32/36?