BlownCorona Builds a Stingray

• 2 weeks later...

I then loosely flattened off the bottom so i could clamp the wings down aswell as into the neck blank. one downside to the angles was that it was pretty anoying to glue up, as i had made nice slippery ramps, but nothing that clamping scrap timber across didnt sort. 

image.png.e472f82325eef72b21c89effdedb4417.png

And clamped the Oak wings on and left it over the weekend. (there is alot of excess timber on those bits and ive left is there for now incase its beneficial for clamping it down later.)

image.png.4fdac321901ac4df13d0ca9f6e6bd0e1.png

• Like 8

I'm really looking forward to the results of this.

Do you know about Stewmac? I have bought some adjustable truss rods and various other bits from them in preparation for making a resonator guitar..

Ah i wondered of you were going to bother given the contruction and stiffness etc. Probably best to have some form of adjustment though, it would be a shame to do all that and have it unplayable.

• Like 1

i certainly will, far too much risk to not have any way to adjust the neck, doubly so when that neck doesnt come off. though if anything goes horibly wrong i can still route out a neck pocket and convert it to a bolt on. 

if you have any other recommendations for quality truss robs im all ears, otherwise im sort of thinking about just making one in the same style as the stewmac ones.

image.png.31c32f6818f004205f7dde450c08fdb2.png

for all those unaware of what we are talking about here, in the neck of most guitars and basses exists a component call a truss rod. this component is an adjustable method of counteracting the forces from the strings (in the case of a bass, it can be a metric fuckton of tension) and this force arches the neck forwards.

To a certain degree we want the neck to have an arch, otherwise when pressing down on a fret, the string would touch multiple points but if the strings pulled too much of an arch, it would be unplayable or it might even snap.

the truss rod applies an adjustable force in the opposite direction by way of two rods, one fixed length and the other adjustable, causing the assembly to bow and allowing a balance to be achieved. there are a few different setups but they usually all follow this general idea.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlownCorona said:

i certainly will, far too much risk to not have any way to the neck, doubly so when that neck doesnt come off. though if anything goes horibly wrong i can still route out a neck pocket and convert it to a bolt on. 

if you have any other recommendations for quality truss robs im all ears, otherwise im sort of thinking about just making one in the same style as the stewmac ones.

image.png.31c32f6818f004205f7dde450c08fdb2.png

for all those unaware of what we are talking about here, in the neck of most guitars and basses exists a component call a truss rod. this component is an adjustable method of counteracting the forces from the strings (in the case of a bass, it can be a metric fuckton of tension) and this force arches the neck forwards.

To a certain degree we want the neck to have an arch, otherwise when pressing down on a fret, the string would touch multiple points but if the strings pulled too much of an arch, it would be unplayable or it might even snap.

the truss rod applies an adjustable force in the opposite direction by way of two rods, one fixed length and the other adjustable, causing the assembly to bow and allowing a balance to be achieved. there are a few different setups but they usually all follow this general idea.

Tell me the length you need, I have a couple there and one is longer. They are not the twin rod type, they are the rod inside an extrusion, you can have one if it suits and you want it. Altho TBH it would be pretty easy to make a twin rod one...

Lovely.  Vids For thread ...

I too have noticed amazing songs with stingray bassplayers: and I was surprised at some omissions from that list. May I offer also:

Shriekback, All lined up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mo3yt0VUjw&list=RD4mo3yt0VUjw and even doing beautiful pop irony with exquisite bass work (casual harmonics, like it's no thing) https://youtu.be/n3GNXWczgek but also 

the Psychedelic Furs, Love my way period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGD9i718kBU

Perhaps sir would enjoy a more eclectic, fretless piece: Pete Murphy: Cuts you up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrfFHzqGBZI

and Latin? Mano Negra: Snr Matanza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBB7HeShhAg

Souxie &: Happy house  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amR6-neQBPE  Spellbound, etc

Anyways, enjoy the soundtrack. Those were just from my CD collection

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willdat? said:

I hope you saved the purple heart off cuts, machining it is the best smelling thing ever. I used it for the lid of this box, smelt like strawberry jam on the lathe.

box.jpg

There wasn't much left, but I've saved it with a mind to turn it into control knobs, perhaps laminated with metal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePog said:

Tell me the length you need, I have a couple there and one is longer. They are not the twin rod type, they are the rod inside an extrusion, you can have one if it suits and you want it. Altho TBH it would be pretty easy to make a twin rod one...

I'll work that out, I need to anyway, and let you know.

Its just a standard 34" scale, but I need to find out if being through neck changes anything. 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2024 at 23:21, BlownCorona said:

I am however sick enough in the head to assume that i can build anything, so why not, how hard can it be to build a high end instrument?

My brother made this guitar using an existing neck:

accessorised.jpg.fd7ba8e1d04145789e6120c299062728.jpg

He put the bridge too far out of position, which meant that even when the open strings were tuned to the correct pitch, the notes produced by fretting the strings would be sharp or flat (can't remember which). Also, something else was not quite right about the bridge mounting which would result in the tuning being thrown out if you used the whammy bar. Finally, the mounting of the neck to the body left a bit to be desired. His subsequent attempts have been more successful, and I think he has built a bass as well.

Good luck, this should be an interesting project. :thumbright:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah ive gone down the youtube hole of 3d printed guitars and basses, some people have real solid success. I also enjoyed the solid bronze bass which the guy smelted himself. it weighed an ungodly amount and he couldnt play a full song without it cutting the circulation to his leg off. He never put it on a strap because he was terrified of the strap breaking and it crushing his foot. hilarious.

i 3d printed my model for fun and to have a bit of a real world look as sometimes cad models on a flat screen can look a bit weird. It now lives on my desk as decoration.  

image.png.07cebde3979d5f519b9e91c79365b423.png

A test cut with some MDF and then ill be cutting the hardwood. 

truss rod from Stewmac arrived today aswell, and 90% of the hardware has been selected, purchased and is sitting in a freight forward depot in the states to consolidate freight to nz/make use of free US shipping. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have been doing quite a bit of work (and purchasing) on this project. Firstly i finalised the 3d model, as seen above. threw some vaguely right colors over it but you'll see the hardwood blank looks quite different. 

image.png.7b9005e7e2fd0df36ead67b9171956d6.png

next, i needed a bridge, the part which anchors the strings and affords various adjustments for string intonation. 
The problem is that i never really liked the orginal StingRay bridge. they were just a pressed steel thing and looks pretty plain, however i felt the overall footprint was important to the shape. i also really wanted something with the mute pads.

Classic StingRay 4 | Basses | Ernie Ball Music Man

I couldn't find anything that i liked until i came across this item from Sandberg, however they only sold within the EU and i couldn't find an NZ distributor.

Sandberg California TT4 Bass - Bass Guitars - Harmony Central

So.. i gave up and gave into my desire to just design my own. i took a leaf out of @Roman book and sent the design away for CNC machining from aluminium and nickel plating. i also had the saddles 3d printed from stainless steel
image.png.19fc8ca967b8a02b4428e5f3b5ab0363.png

This also presented the opportunity to include a little hand drawn sketch of my cat who actively loves listening to the bass. if i stop, she will demand i continue.
She is very fluffy which leads to her looking perpetually angry, a great little logo i thought. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And heres a long and expensive list of things ive bought. however the amount of money ive spent is still less than buying the cheapest good quality instrument from a shop and this (should) be of far far higher quality. 

the most important first. Nordstand MM4.2 Pickup. This is one of two options i found for recreating the original sound faithfully (in conjunction with the correct preamp - more on that in a later episode) 
image.thumb.jpeg.4a05df671c79f430797fb783d52ff309.jpeg

The the tuning machines. Gotoh Res-o-lites x3 and one Hipshot drop D tuner for the e string. this is unnecessary but i really wanted one. it allows you to pretune the E string to D and lets to flick a lever back and forth for the two tunings. just cool. Gotohs over Hipshots for the other 3 because they were substantially cheaper and look the same, still really high quality. 

image.thumb.jpeg.308f517c464274f54c806becd0bc5fab.jpeg

StewMac truss rod
image.thumb.jpeg.585d6469c60b85f36a8cf1d9b7eaa299.jpeg

Nickel Plated control cover 

image.thumb.jpeg.4f416a2bf812a435a97fce09ae7a8382.jpeg

Cool little stainless steel preamp battery holder. i dont want any plastic. 
image.thumb.jpeg.698c4584bf51e99f895f6cdcc6771718.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9dce97f835eb212190286d4000b16d79.jpeg

and a set of standard but correct spec strings 

image.thumb.jpeg.7b25bbcfa269e3d7ed49cf84efb88d15.jpeg

• Like 7